Best resorts for ON SITE snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breezes Jibacoa or Cameleon Villas Jibacoa, Cuba - both all inclusive. Great snorkelling just off the beach, lots of fish and coral. Heading back to CVJ in a month!
Breezes Runaway Bay Jamaica - not as good but not bad. Sunset Waters, Curacao good outside the lagoon. Good to see this post, agree, hard to find locations for good snorkelling right off the beach - one of our criteria when choosing a destination.

this thread is 3 years old...
But not the post I was replying to.

Looking for the exact same properties when traveling with my non-diving OH, I have found the following:

* Islands in the Maldives is rather obvious, and is by far the very best shore snorkeling (if you can call it that) I've had, but also expensive. Drop Off with whitetips, nurse, eaglerays, feathertail rays, HUGE marble rays, hawksbills, various schools, small tuna ect.

* Tuna Bay Resort, Perhentian Islands, Malaysia: Palm fringed white coral beach. Small but good snorkeling reef 30 feet from the shore right in front of the resort. Clownfish (the real ones), Bluespotted stingrays, saw a young blacktip reef shark, multi colored christmas tree worms plus some of the usual suspects. Healthy coral. Take a 5 min. boatride to the strait between Perhentian Kecil and Perhentian Besar and freedive with huge green turtles (more or less guaranteed).

* Koh Hai (Koh Ngai), Thailand, as another poster mentioned, but not in the same league as the other places. Nice passtime non the less.

* Akumal, Mexico. Pretty good reef with some healthy coral directly off beach. Saw a couple of hawksbills and an eagle ray, but biodiversity is nowhere near Indian Ocean. Cenotes are great though but that's another story.

* If you don't mind all the other tourists and the Egyptian touts, many resorts in Sharm el Sheikh has excelent drop off reefs directly from shore.

Jan

I found some great sites in the Philippines. 500 pesos a night.(11.90$) This is what your bedroom looks like though. Most of the places you guys post are completely unaffordable for me. To me paying 250$ or more a night in Asia is retarded. I don't even bother paying that much in Honk Kong. I have been to places where you could buy half the town for what you spend on a nights accommodation.
Magdalena041.jpg

Last edited:
I was in St Thomas at the Marriot at Frenchman's Reef, and it was pretty nice. I saw a diversity of fish and coral. Tarpon, Lionfish, Turtles, Rays, and a few anemones new to me. Lots of long spines though so watch your fingers if you try to pick up a shell or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom