The burn! (Negativity towards tech divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great dialog and the directions this thread has taken.
It was intended to have a bit of humor and seriousness as well.
The instances that sparked the event are really case specific and a little unfair to generalize divers as a whole.
Unfortunately several of them were directly spoken against DIR which has in the past drawn its own fire.
The other comments have been ignorant ones like the examples shared.

I have gotten many more positive comments from other divers than negative ones and try to be open, friendly, helpful whenever possible.
I understand that diving is made up of a wide gamut of people with different backgrounds and goals.
The farther down the road I travel I find two generalizations personally;
A. Humility is priceless, "What you do not know can kill you!"
B. Treat others as you wish to be treated.
C. Be compassionate and merciful even in tough spots.
D Slow to speak quick to listen.
E. When the need arises be silent, swift, and deadly! "Or just leave!" The latter will make your loved ones happier!

A good though was brought up by Randy Smith possibly it was my perception of the comments and under further scrutiny he is correct on one account for sure.
Latter in conversation with the individual we spoke and cleaned the whole thing up.
Clarification, validation of statements , one misspoken word can change the meaning of everything.

CamG keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

A. Humility is priceless, "What you do not know can kill you!"
B. Treat others as you wish to be treated.
C. Be compassionate and merciful even in tough spots.
D Slow to speak quick to listen.
E. When the need arises be silent, swift, and deadly! "Or just leave!" The latter will make your loved ones happier!

All excellent points Cam! You're a great ambassador for the sport and I'm honored to call you a dive buddy, although it's a shame we don't get a chance to dive together more often!!

I agree with Jim. I'm proud to know you CAM.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Just come across a bit of negativity towards tech divers and tech diving in general.
Anyone else catching a bit of this attitude out there?
I know not everyone will be your friend but because you dive a certain way?
The world is not as an accepting place as I once thought, :rofl3:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I have noticed some vibe out there at local watering holes.
I have tried to not enter in to the beating of any level or agency of divers but yet get lumped into the group I look like!
So be it.
This is not a B&M thread just wondered it anyone else having this issue other areas?

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning.

I once had an instructor "lecture" me about teaching recreational classes in doubles. He claimed that I wouldn't be allowed to keep up with my students as they swam all over the quarry. I replied, in a humorous tone, that I don't have to chase my students all over the place. He didn't think I was funny.

I catch a little flak from some people. Most know that, in the end, I really want everyone to be a great diver and have fun.

I am not a tec diver YET but I am already starting to catch flack about it from the local dive shops yes that is intentionaly plural! I am trying to find an instructor to teach sidemount and deco and everyone is preaching to me that there is no need to go that deep or for that long and there is to much equiptment and id be better off just logging hundreds of dives localy. While I enjoy diving localy there are several wrecks that I have on my list of places that I want to see that are in the 160 to 300 foot range and if I am to get there I need to start somewhere and I dont need to have my eyes "oppened" to the reality that its just not practical

Reactions: Jax
Joe, in my opinion, you have the best reasons for "going tech". Getting the training because you have some specific dives you want to do seems very reasonable to me (maybe because it's what I did).

Reactions: Jax
I am not a tec diver YET but I am already starting to catch flack about it from the local dive shops yes that is intentionaly plural! I am trying to find an instructor to teach sidemount and deco and everyone is preaching to me that there is no need to go that deep or for that long and there is to much equiptment and id be better off just logging hundreds of dives localy. While I enjoy diving localy there are several wrecks that I have on my list of places that I want to see that are in the 160 to 300 foot range and if I am to get there I need to start somewhere and I dont need to have my eyes "oppened" to the reality that its just not practical

That is because they do not teach or cater in anyway to tech divers, so they will lose you as a customer if you do it. Shame.

You have plenty of good instructors for what you want all over Florida. Some right here on this board. I am sure you will be able to find a good one.

I have found more negativity from employees of dive shops than from individuals when I am diving. I am always amazed when someone behind the counter that looks to be all of 12 can determine what is right or wrong with how you dive or configure your gear when all you want to do is buy a decent bolt snap.... I did have a couple LDS's tell me that no one doubles AL80's. I have a set that I use to practice for cave diving in Mexico. Its about all you will find there and to me it makes sense to pratice with what I will be using. After I explained my reasons, the light seemed to come on.....

Well at least they had a light! LOL...

Interesting points about the LDS's as come to think about it I have had issues there as well.
I guess if they were educated they would be eager to help as Tech gear is pretty costly and almost always backups are needed!
I feel that many more shops will start to meander into the Tech realm as a general interest continues to grow.
Joe as JamesK has said you will not have issues finding another LDS or instructor that would be pleased to assist you.

Do your research and then contact the appropriate individuals.
This group will be able to supply you with plenty of contacts.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom