PADI Tec Sidemount Materials (oh no... not another 'bad pictures' issue!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL!! Thanks for the updates on the picture Devon! I was just about to post one of the same pictures.

sidemount.jpg

This caption should read "Take the PADI Sidemout Diver Course. Then find someone who can fix you!" LOL

This is not a shot at you in anyway Devon, I honestly feel like you will do a good job.

Hmmm, according to some of the website I have seen offering PADI Sidemount, you DO use a snorkel?!?!?!?!?!

This is not a shot at you in anyway Devon, I honestly feel like you will do a good job.

Of course!

PADI and 'tech' seems to follow a similar path, every time a new training component is released... as with the initial core tech program, then sidemount, now CCR.... next cave (probably)... Here's how (with my limited perspective), I see PADI tech evolving....

1. There's always a 'first generation' of cadre instructors, who typically get the rating from PADI as an initial cross-over, having trained/taught/developed extensively via multiple other agencies. These guys (and girls) have typically been actively involved in the subject area long before getting a 'PADI rating' and may be considered 'subject matter experts' to a greater, or lesser, degree. They get the PADI rating on the basis of prior experience/qualification - not via a PADI training course. I saw this with the initial development of the 'Tec Deep' program - where the initial cadre of instructors/instructor trainers were all highly experienced technical educators who had previously taught tech diving for other agencies (TDI, IANTD etc). These are the guys who previously wrote 'distinctive specialties' and/or help develop the initial PADI course outlines...

For instance; with sidemount, I'd include guys like Jeff Loflin and Steve Martin in this category. To a lesser, and far more humble, degree myself - having never trained with a PADI 'sidemount instructor' prior to crossing over via direct experience.

2. Then there's a 'second generation' of instructors, who are the product of the first generation. They receive un-distilled skills and are typically 'fore-runners' and have a genuine passion for the subject. These are the PADI instructors who are already involved in the discipline and hold qualifications (at diver level) with other agencies already. They often have a pre-existing student-mentor relationship with the first generation instructors who have crossed-over and, consequently, get their initial instructor ratings with PADI, rather than an alternative agency.

This was me at the initial 'tech' level - having completed technical training, at diver level, under multiple instructors from varied agencies. My first intro to teaching the PADI system of tech was via my TecRec instructor course - run by a very experienced, multi-agency 'old school' tech instructor trainer..

3. Then a 'third generation' of instructors, who train under the first/second generation... often with a focus on becoming 'instructor trainers' in that subject - many are course directors etc. Their interest in the subject area may be more 'commercial' than 'participation based' and only a percentage of them will have a passionate interest/active participation in that subject area. Most, if not all, gain instructor rating via 'instructor qualification courses', rather than pre-existing experience (cross-over).

4. As the area becomes more marketed/popular, a wider spectrum of instructors get themselves qualified, entirely via 'fast-track' training courses - often taken with the third-generation instructor (trainers). Likewise, their experience at tech diver level is also a product entirely of the PADI system. This generation learns the 'PADI way' via instructor (trainers) who only know the 'PADI way'. Little, if any, experience of alternative agencies/approaches is distilled at this level of evolution.

5. Beyond that, subsequent instructor/diver generations are primarily developed via third and forth generation trainers. They learn PADI, from someone who learned PADI, from someone who learned PADI.... and the worm has turned.

That's how I see it. It doesn't mean that an individual from 'X' generation is necessarily good or bad - but helps explain certain motivations, breadth of experience and/or scope of understanding that may exist in a given instructor. It does, however, demonstrate that a specific PADI course can vary dramatically in quality, dependent on the instructor's prior involvement in the subject area and/or the experience distilled to them by their trainers.

A complicated way of saying 'it's about the instructor, not the agency'... but the instructor's capability is a product of own their training - and that training is dictated by the scope of their exposure to the wider tech community.

Back onto topic of the media materials..... I have no idea who's responsible for their selection. I'm guessing that those involved with translating 1st generation experience into standardized materials are rarely going to be members of that initial 'cross-over' generation. Hence, the 'faux-pax' that are obvious to the wider (participating) tech community, but not so to the PADI generations who follow in the footsteps of the 'commercially focused' generations.

Anyway... rambling, incoherent, rant suspended.... I don't like the photos used in the PADI tech materials. I think they're embarrassing within a community that demands higher standards...

I have their rebreather materials. Pictures show "Advanced" rebreather divers holding onto the upline for buoyancy control. Not really "demonstration" quality of you ask me.

I have their rebreather materials. Pictures show "Advanced" rebreather divers holding onto the upline for buoyancy control. Not really "demonstration" quality of you ask me.

It just strikes me that the people in their 'media department' aren't really 'in tune' with the tech community ethos on the smaller points - which, as mentioned, does an injustice to those PADI instructors who do teach these courses 'properly'.

I'm surprised they don't subject the materials to an instructor panel review prior to publishing. Or..., if they do,... how these photos make it past the edit.

Those of us who teach technical courses quickly learn that posting promotional materials which illustrate 'sloppy diving' are always counter-productive.

They certainly didn't do much of a review on their "Tec Rec" DVD--it's very amusing, in a sad sort of way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom