Recommended Dive spots in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm. this is definately not sipidan, and definately not thailand 10 years ago. there is good stuff to see if you look, but no one would go on a live-aboard here. there are no sharks (unless you technical dive in green island, so i've heard) and no big schools of fish, and rarely any big fish (larger than 2 feet). i've got a photo album here if that might give you an idea. the first pictures up to the self-portrait are from belize, but everything else if from taiwan - mostly kenting and some green island. https://picasaweb.google.com/ericandbella/Diving02
the only thing i haven't seen regularly in there is the blue-ringed octopus. and good luck seeing a turtle.

it was 27 deg this weekend in kenting at 15 meters.

most of the diving here is on the weekend. i'm not sure if boats go out during the week or about finding people to shore dive with. that might be easier on green island. ambertiger is a good one to ask. he's been here for years and years.

It looks very nice and I am certainly impressed. Looks like one of those places if you look carefully you will find tons of very interesting things. I am thrilled!

Green Island is so worth the 50 minute boat ride. Take you sea sick pills 40 minutes before and just meditate. You will never regret going, the views are unlike any we have seen so far. We started in Green Island, went to the Philippines and to Kenting. Green Island far surpasses all. Greenislandadventures.com is the service we used there and Eddie was fabulous.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2012 at 01:14 PM ----------

Glee719,

We are new to diving but have many dives logged to date. In our opinion Green Island is the BEST, Phillipines was Great and Kenting was Good! We just visited Kenting this past weekend but do not plant o go again. Nothing too interesting, and Green Island is SO much better. We saw more snorkeling Green Island then we did scuba diving in Kenting. We used Eddie from Green Island Adventures. He is the most hospitable host we have ever had the pleasure of working with and that is important to us. And he is English speaking as well as Mandarin. There is a wonderful restaurant there that we ate ate every night of our week long stay: Monica and Mario's, the best fried noodles so far and we have lived in Taiwan for a year now.

Have fun and enjoy Taiwan! Avoid the Stinky tofu! :)

I was researching Kenting and Orchid before, but now it looks like I can consider Green Island too. Also, I was reading about Longdong Bay but my wife keeps on associating it with death for some reason. Is it dangerous there with under-currents? I would like to consider it for day-trips from Taipei...

Definitely check out Green Island if you get the chance.
Kenting has more shops, so planning dives is much easier. Some operators have their own boats.

As for Longdong, there's little that is sinister about it. One would have to go out of their way to get into trouble. Just check CWB for conditions, or this handy webpage that Wantonmien hooked me up with about a year ago. Nothing like showing up at the site only to find 2m waves crashing over yer head.
政府入口網-台灣看透透-龍洞南口

Ken at Pioneer should be open for the season by the time you're here.

Welcome to Pioneer Diver - Home
Or PM me for phone numbers ...

Have fun and enjoy Taiwan! Avoid the Stinky tofu! :)
To each their own - I love it, the stinkier the better! But then, this is likely a developed taste ... five years ago I wouldn't even walk on the same side of the road as the stuff!

I agree with the folks who recommend Green Island. It's definitely worth going there if you have the time to do so (and the diving is a lot better than anywhere on the main island of Taiwan).

Kending has been overfished and the reefs are not in very good condition, but you can find a lot of interesting macro life if you're good at spotting critters. Commonly seen animals include cuttlefish and octopus, various nudibranchs, mantis shrimps, scorpionfish, rockmover wrasse, etc. Boat diving is more expensive than shore diving but the reefs are healthier and you'll see more fishes on those reefs than on the reefs closer to shore.

Teaseruk, check your inbox for a PM.

Hello All! I am planning a trip to Green Island June 7-11 and I am looking for any advice regarding where to stay, guide availability, equipment rental and transportation to the island. My family (2 adults + 2 children) are currently planning to stay at the Green Island Bali Resort; but I welcome any other recommendations. Due to several people telling us that everyone on the ferry gets seasick during the trip from Taitung to Green Island (clear seasickness bags?!), I am planning to take the flight instead. But then I also read a few people's comments regarding scary flight experiences (small plane + turbulence + short runway = white knuckles). I guess (hope) the flight should be safe though.

My 13 year-old son and I are PADI certified and we have dove several times in Thailand, Maui, Honolulu and Kauai. We love to dive, but our experience level is not great (23m / 75ft is our greatest depth). We have lived in Taiwan (Taipei) for 5 years but we will return to the US in June; so this will be our last opportunity to see Green Island and I want to make the most of it. My Mandarin skills are limited to directing taxi drivers and ordering food in a restaurant; so I expect some communication challenge. Should I expect to find equipment rental on Green Island (and if so, what location is recommended)? Because this will be my first time to Green Island, I will need a dive guide also. Should I be able to find a guide on the island (and who is recommended)?

My wife and younger son will accompany us also, but they will snorkel or look for other activities. Hopefully three full days at Green Island is not too much (especially for non-divers). Any general advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi diver4fun2, I think you'll be happy with Green Island. Sites I recommend for boat diving include Chicken Head Rock, Yi Xian Tian (Heavenly Line), Da Xiagu (Big Canyon), and the pinnacles off of Baisha (White Sand). There are a couple of artificial reefs with decent marine life encounters, too. But really some of the best dives are shore dives. Depending on the prevailing winds you can try Shilang and Baisha on the west coast or Chaikou on the north coast. I think Baisha is my current favorite: look out to where you see the top of a rock breaking the surface and surface swim for about 8 or 10 minutes out to that rock, then catch your breath and descend. If you can navigate by compass then you can swim underwater along the reef all the way back to shore (or go there by boat if you don't want that long a surface swim).

I've never dived with an English-speaking guide so I can't recommend any. I have a couple of business cards of English speaking DMs/instructors, though and I'll PM you -- just keep in mind I don't know these guys and am not vouching for them. And sure you can find rental equipment, but my buddies and I have our own kit so again I can't vouch for the quality of any rental gear available.

Enjoy the trip!

Last edited:
Diver4fun2,

My husband and I spent an entire week on Green Island (the week after Chinese News Year) it was cold and rainy and still had a great time. This time of year would be perfect. Our guide was English Speaking (grew up in South Africa) and his wife is Mandarin so he is fluent in both. He offers packages for lodging too. My husband got certified there while scootered around the island, we went snorkeling together and the hot springs. It seems that you may already have your boat tickets and lodging but if not Eddie can provide everything too. Make sure you eat at Monica's - we ate there every night!

greenislandadventures@hotmail.com Eddie. He was so helpful, knowledgeable about the island and the history. He takes his job seriously and treats you the way you would be expected to be treated.

We hope to go back before our time is up here in Taipei, we are also heading back to the States in June for the summer. Have a great time and take a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom