Help me ID these West Coast USA Fish, and one Curacao blenny...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

What do you think of these guys?

The first one is from San Diego, maybe some sort of Croaker? Looks a little like an opaleye, but not around the eye:

croaker?.JPG

The second two are from the Seattle area. Some sort of Sculpins, I think...

Washington 0509 - 11.JPG

Washington 0509 - 34.JPG

And the last one looks like a redlip blenny, but for some reason I think that it might be something else... any thoughts? The facial markings aren't typical for a redlip, but I found at least one aquarium website that talked about "stress coloration"...

blenny_id.jpg

Thanks!

Mike

The photo angle makes it hard, as does the darker coloration, but the first picture looks like a female California sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher), a member of the wrasse family. I base my id on the shape of the head, the white chin, and the bluish dorsal fin. Interestingly, these fish are hermaphodites - starting as females and turning to males as they age. Can't help with the other fish.

Thanks! I appreciate the reply...

M

The photo angle makes it hard, as does the darker coloration, but the first picture looks like a female California sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher), a member of the wrasse family. I base my id on the shape of the head, the white chin, and the bluish dorsal fin. Interestingly, these fish are hermaphodites - starting as females and turning to males as they age. Can't help with the other fish.

I agree with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom