St Crox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrangler

Reaction score
Whos been, whats it like, hows the diving, What did it cost, where did you stay. Best time to go? :dazzler1:

There are several members on the board who are residents of St. Croix. I rented a house above the Salt River Bay. St. Croix is similar to St. Thomas in that it is unfortunately or fortunately very "American". There is higher crime than other islands and there are some neighborhoods where you definitely feel unwelcome. That being said the retaurants were wonderful. The shopping (according to my wife) was quite good. I dove with Anchor Dive Shop on the Salt River Bay. They were very good and I highly recommend them. The diving was average. It was definitely better than St. Thomas but not as good as other areas in the Caribbean. On a scale of one to ten I would put it at a five. Coz would be a nine. Little Cayman a nine. Antigua a 3. Jamaica a 1 1/2, etc.

We stayed at Hotel Caravelle for a cheap long weekend. Older hotel not a fancy place but ok, great location to jump on the boat, walk to many things like shops and lots of good restaurants, or sightsee the downtown waterfront. Dove with SCUBA, they were great and we had a blast, but thought the diving was just ok.

Completely agree with Tim. STX IMO is not a dive destination. If you happen to be there and want to dive then it's better than being topside. Obviously very American. Fast food easily found on the island. Made 14 dives last Sept. with SCUBA. Nice large boat and great folks. Reefs are fished quite hard by the locals. Spearfishing galore. Crime rate was high according to all we spoke to and we found the food also quite good. Interesting island but I certainly don't plan on returning. Too many other quality places to dive. Stayed at Tamirand Reef Resort. Nice but not fancy. Originally booked at Hotel on the Cay. This is a trailer park on a private island. Would not advise staying there. Buccaneer Resort we toured and was very nice. Would stay there if we were to ever return.

Cane Bay area is the best diving. There are several shore dives that are accessable from this area or can be dived by boat. Several places to stay in this area but you will need a car. The Waves used to be very good but it has changed hands. They used to provide tanks and weights to guests and have lockers for gear and rinse areas. They also have Kitchenettes and the supermarkets on STX are well supplied if you like to do your own cooking. Cane Bay Divers is in this area and is a good dive operation. Dive Experience in Christenstead is a dive operation that is very good also and is often overlooked by most divers. A lot of the locals use them. I have dived with all five operators on STX and like them the best. Same type boats and service and price as the rest but they know better dive locations and are more flexible with experienced divers. Have been there 4 times and crime was never a problem but it does exist. Just do as in Bonaire, leave nothing in your car and leave windows down and stay out of areas that look like trouble.

nanson:
Cane Bay area is the best diving. There are several shore dives that are accessable from this area or can be dived by boat. Several places to stay in this area but you will need a car. The Waves used to be very good but it has changed hands. They used to provide tanks and weights to guests and have lockers for gear and rinse areas. They also have Kitchenettes and the supermarkets on STX are well supplied if you like to do your own cooking. Cane Bay Divers is in this area and is a good dive operation. Dive Experience in Christenstead is a dive operation that is very good also and is often overlooked by most divers. A lot of the locals use them. I have dived with all five operators on STX and like them the best. Same type boats and service and price as the rest but they know better dive locations and are more flexible with experienced divers. Have been there 4 times and crime was never a problem but it does exist. Just do as in Bonaire, leave nothing in your car and leave windows down and stay out of areas that look like trouble.
Hi Chuck And Nancy
My wife and I are looking to go downin Oct 12- 20th I'll check with the folks you listed I've been all around the caribean and all waters are very similiar. Thing I have found is left alone I will find something cool on any dive. ( I'm from washington heck we have 0- 40 ft vis) dealing with students in that inviroment you focus on little things and make the most of it. Warm water and bottom time crank me up. Do the rent rebreathers on ISland or do nitrox?

This St. Crox you speak of...it sounds like a wonderful place! I am having trouble locating it on the map however. Is it near Moria and the Shire or more toward the east near Atlantis and Narnia?

I'm not aware of rebreathers on STX and have not tried to find nitrox. Best to check with one of the dive shops like Dive Experience or SCUBA. October is hurricane season and STX has been hit before. I have never been there at that time of the year so cannot tell you what water temp is like. May 2002 was my last trip and water was 82, air was 85, and vis was 80 to 150' depending on the site.

nanson:
Its a US territory. Try upper US!

Quite certain that O-ring was kidding since its St. CroIx and not St. Crox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom