Dive flag at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
do you use it, are you supposed to, do boaters even see them?
(im referring to shore diving and the like)

From boats, flags and day shapes are not displayed at night. The proper signal at night consists of three lights in vertical line - red over white over red.

If you are diving from shore in an area in which there is boat traffic, it is unlikely that any boats would see a flag at night. Towing a lighted flag or some kind of surface signal light would seem prudent but would probably have no statutory or regulatory standing. If diving from shore at night, I would try to descend and ascend as close to the shore as possible.

In missouri, if your boat is anchored or not moving, your required to just have one white light on (The anchor light). I would suggest attaching to the top of the flag, some type of white light that emmits light in a horizontal 360 degree radius.

In missouri, if your boat is anchored or not moving, your required to just have one white light on (The anchor light). I would suggest attaching to the top of the flag, some type of white light that emmits light in a horizontal 360 degree radius.

Both the Inland Rules and the COLREGS (Rule 27 b, e & 30 a, d) require small boats at night to display an all around white light when at anchor, except when in a designated anchorage, and three vertical lights (red, white, red) when supporting divers. It makes no difference whether the vessel is moving or not. A vessel that is dragging anchor or swinging at anchor is still required to display the light. Likewise, a vessel aground is required to display different lights; a vessel underway but not making way (becalmed and adrift) is required to display the running lights for her class; a vessel tied to a pier or wharf is not required to display any lights.

There are no rules regarding signals to be displayed by divers not supported by vessels at night. I agree that towing a surface float with a light would be appropriate. The inclusion of a flag may also be advisable if only because local authorities may interpret the state laws to require it, even at night, although it is not likely that a boater would be able to recognize a flag in the dark, even with a light on it.

In RI a flashing white strobe light is required to be afixed to the flag at night. Of course if ya dive late enough all the enforcement guys are in bed so you don't need a flag or light!:wink:

Unfortunately you are incorrect that you only need an anchor light at night with divers int he water...

I guess that DEM enforcment guy was either yankin my chain or doesn't know what he's talking. An anchor light on a dive flag moving around might confuse boaters no? I don't have a boat so I dive from shore with a flag. I think you're referring to diving from a boat in which case you are correct. thanks

yes - was replying to a previous post - not yours afterdark..

Can anybody see them? what if they crash or something? I'm just a bit curious. I can't imagine that they can dive at night? Do they have lights or something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom