New to DFW...Need to get wet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all. I recently moved to FW and need to get diving back on my schedule. First and foremost I need to get back in the water a few times within the month because I just booked a liveaboard and my last dives were just over a year ago UGH! I think that Clear Springs is the closest place for me to go. Any insight would be great and if anyone needs a buddy or wouldn't mind a tag along that would be cool too. Would it be hard to just show up to the lake there and find buddies to dive with???
As long as I don't get stuck working on the weekends I am down to get wet.:D I look forward to meeting some new divers out here.

Welcome! :)

I would be more gracious and provide better information, but I just jumped online to check out a few things and return to packing for my family vacation tomorrow. Anyway, I just wanted to drop by a welcome you and let you know that you can generally always find someone to dive with this time of year at CSSP or Athens.

I'm usually around with members of my dive group, and we try to get out almost every weekend if possible (predominantly on Saturdays).

Anyway, I'll get back with you later in the week when I get settled in to the vacation home and get a little coastal fishing under my belt. :eyebrow:

Take care,

Cyp

Hey all. I recently moved to FW and need to get diving back on my schedule. First and foremost I need to get back in the water a few times within the month because I just booked a liveaboard and my last dives were just over a year ago UGH! I think that Clear Springs is the closest place for me to go. Any insight would be great and if anyone needs a buddy or wouldn't mind a tag along that would be cool too. Would it be hard to just show up to the lake there and find buddies to dive with???
As long as I don't get stuck working on the weekends I am down to get wet.:D I look forward to meeting some new divers out here.

There are several decent places to dive, and several "at least I'm underwater" places within a couple hours of DFW. One of the best would be Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell Tx. Very clean, very well kept, bathrooms with showers, electric camping sites, airfills, etc.

Lake Murray just next to Marietta Oklahoma would be a fairly quick trip for you right up 35. The place most go up there is "Marietta Landing". The viz averages around 8 to 12 feet. Good camping and facilities up there as well, and cheap.

If you are feeling very adventurous, you can always come up to Texoma and dive with me there. Expect to get up close and personal with your flashlight and the lake floor, since viz is only about 4 to 6 feet on the best days. Every dive there is a night dive below 15ft though. Still, there are some interesting sights and the possibility of finding anchors and stuff.

Going out further, there is Lake Broken Bow in Southeast Oklahoma. Gorgeous scenery, very deep and cold. I've only been there once, but the diving was great the time I went. The down side is, it's probably 4 hours from DFW.

That's all the places I've been around here. I'm sure there are more and hopefully people will chime in with others.

Welcome to the area!

Kory

There is also Lake Possum Kingdom, but most of the decent diving there requires a boat (which can be rented, of course, or there are a couple of dive charters) to get to the site. Another choice is Lake Elmer Thomas, near Lawton Oklahoma in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. It's a small lake, but it's usually pretty clear, and near the dam is nearly 100 feet deep. It's also a "no-wake" lake, so boat traffic is rarely a concern.

Any time you need a dive buddy let me know. I would be glad to makea new friend

Thanks everyone for the info. Sounds like there are some options out there. And ScubaFrog I appreciate the offer. I'm always up for meeting new divers.

There is also Athens Scuba Park. Viz on Fridays are better than other days due to the clay bottom and student divers on weekends. I was there last 2 weekends for classes and the water temp was 74-78°F depending on which side of the lake you are on. South side of the lake was a bit deeper 18-24 feet - North side, the platform was 13 - 16 feet deep. I wore 3 mm shorty and full depending on surface temp but easily get by with shorty. They have a couple of planes at opposite ends of the lake and it is a good training lake. They have a few platforms to practice descents without mucking up the bottom. The planes, bus, and tubes are good to practice your buoyancy.

There is a train track near the scuba park and if you are thinking about camping, you won't enjoy the train's horn. I camped there a year ago and I was having trouble sleeping. There is several motels/hotels but I always stay at Super 8 - $53+ for single room. From there, if you drive east on Tyler st. it is an easy albeit a slow drive to the scuba park.

No fish in this lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom