BP/W - where to put the "stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple of those MOLLE thigh pouches. They kept the weight of 200 round drums off my vest. Maybe you could add a MOLLE panel to an exposure suit on the thighs, and the be able to change pockets at will, or use one pocket for multiple suits?

Those ammo pouches, does the fact that they are fabric mean that they don't need drain holes?

Do you add bungee loops to them so you can clip your stuff in?

How do they hold up to bouncing off of rocks in clumsy surf entries?

congrats on getting something thats made to fit you ...as a woman, i could not belive the diff. a womans BC made...I always wear a snorkle on my mask..the bottom part of the snorkel is made to hang straight and out of the way when im using my reg...I am a cold , rough water diver on the west coast...we all dive with a snorkel...surface swimming with chop and swell would be uncomfortable with out the snorkel...and the surface swims can be long to the dive location and it would be a waste of air if you used your reg...so we use the reg. to get thru the surf then transition to snorkel...the rest of my gear is clipped on the rings of my BC and weight belt..(yes i still use a weight belt..half my weight is in my BC and half on my belt..im NAUI and i have a bad back)....I clip a flashlight and safety sausage to my BC...I have a storm whistle and dive alert on my BC hose....that is all we carry unless further off shore or at a resort or tech diving...

Those ammo pouches, does the fact that they are fabric mean that they don't need drain holes?

Some of them actually have drain holes, so if soldiers had to cross a river they are not going around with full pockets when they get out.

Do you add bungee loops to them so you can clip your stuff in?
I haven't actually tried them out yet. I just came up with the idea the other day.

How do they hold up to bouncing off of rocks in clumsy surf entries?
They are military pouches, so they can take the abuse.

Well, after 23 years, I succumbed to the "mass hysteria" and got a BP/W. All I can say is it is a thrill to have something that fits. Being 6'-7", nothing off the shelf fit for the last 23 years...... Now, it does..... Thank you to the vendors who thought of us tall folks....

Anyhow, now that I don't have pockets (well, I didn't with a back-inflate), and all the "new" stuff you folks like to have (mainly a SMB/spool, but some safety stuff seems reasonable, and maybe a snorkel), where the heck do you put it? WS and DS have a thigh pocket, but there is only so much space.... In a single tank configuration, where are you placing "stuff"?

Such as a light (though maybe its on a light sock), SMB/finger spool, etc.

tell me what you do....

Wear shorts w/ cargo pockets.

A good question.

On my backplate my storage options are limited. I have a couple of chest D rings and one on the right hip to clip things to. If I really need to bring something along that won't go there I could just screw or nail it on:

111.jpg

With my wing (or what passes as one when I use it) I have a big ol' pocket that I like to clip a pair of EMT shears into and I sometimes store a spare mask there as well. This is because I usually buy my masks at thrift shops, flea markets or I just find them at the bottom of lakes so it's good to be prepared. Of course my spare mask also comes from those locales so...

112.jpg

On a more frivolous note: My "other" BP/W is rigged something like this. I have a pair of EMT shears on the waist band where both hands can access them as well as a small bluntnosed blade bungied on my left forearm. My B/U light is clipped off to the right chest D ring and held down by a small loop of bungie cord. I like to carry a lift bag bungied to the backplate and clipped off on the right hip D ring in a way that I can deploy it by pulling down (two small loops of surgical tubing). In my right thigh pocket I carry a pre-threaded SMB on a finger spool and a spare double ended boltsnap. Both are clipped off to a loop of cave line attached to the pocket. If I have more gear I clip it off to the butt D ring which is fine and all but when I walk it looks like I am pooping dive gear.

113.jpg

For a fashion conscious individual such as myself that can be a little embarrassing.

You are learning the drawbacks of a BP/W set-up. One solution is just not to carry all the stuff. although I have such a set-up, I prefer to dive my soft harness/wing. It poses the same problem, but I just clip the essentials (and only the essentials) to my d-rings.

I keep my SMB in my butt pouch, attached with quick links. I keep my finger spool clipped to my right shoulder lower d-ring. I keep my backup light clipped to my upper right shoulder d-ring and bungeed down to the shoulder strap. I keep my folding knife pouch velcro'd around the left shoulder strap between the upper and lower d-ring. I have a pouch on my waist strap in which I keep my EMT shears and line cutter, at least until they are forgotten and turn into a rust ball and I replace them. I also keep mono I pick up off the reef as well as lead weights. Lead weights are handy for throwing at divers from another boat, so I like to have a good selection onboard. They are also good for throwing at divers on deco who may be falling asleep..... :D

You are learning the drawbacks of a BP/W set-up.

"Drawback" overshadowed by the fact that for once, I don't have a cummerbund at the bottom of my rib cage, or that I can actually reach my valve because the thing sits on my back in the correct place..... I don't mind a return to diving how I learned. Just seeing how folks have come up with the "better mousetrap". Its enlightening....

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 04:01 PM ----------

I have added one of Tobin's butt plates to all of my class and personal kits. It goes on the crotch strap and makes it easy to carry ANYTHING you might need.

Impressive, but $40....... so I said to myself - why not put two singles together on the belt for $5.95 each with a slider on the face to hold them....

I am a cold , rough water diver on the west coast...we all dive with a snorkel...surface swimming with chop and swell would be uncomfortable with out the snorkel...

We don't all carry snorkels... =P

to OP. Lots of bolt clips w/ caveline and make use of your d-rings!

Back
Top Bottom