Nautilus Explorer Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadon44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey all...i'm considering going on the nautilus explorer live aboard trip from vancouver to juneau..just wondering if anyone out there has done this particluar trip or any other trip on this vessel?????any comments or tips would be apprieciated....thx..........Don

Is that boat still with lever diving? When Mike Lever ran the boat I dove off it with several groups have loads of fun they were very safe. I know mike got a new 130-150 ft boat like an aggressor and have heard nothing but good about that one as well. They run a pickup boat no dive guide in water run your computer and have a minum surface interval of 2 hrs. So Dive nitrox dive long and enjoy. Mike will have nitrox there if you want it.

Mike runs a "top notch" operation. My shop has a trip booked for 06, we are going from Juneau to Price Rupert. Going to be a fantastic experience and adventure.

If you get the opportunity to go, do it.

Chris

I was on the Nautilus Explorer over New Year's. I couldn't dive due to a hole in my eardrum, but I would highly recommend the Nautilus Explorer. The crew was wonderful, the boat is comfortable, and the trip you're talking about sounds awesome.

The "common" area of the boat has a front lounge with couches all the way around, there was always ample room to curl up with a book, or watch a movie at night. The dining area, for those that wanted to play cards or have a quieter area for conversations was also a comfortable place to hang out.

The cabins were nicer than the Peter Hughes boat I was on in the Turks & Caicos.

Despite my sadness at not being able to dive on the trip, I had a great time with Mike Lever and his crew on the Nautilus Explorer.

From what I've seen and heard from many local divers, the Nautilus is terrible for raping and pillaging the bottom, its one thing to grab the odd goody, but a steady assault on are waters, especially the inside waters is a tragedy, I've been diving the entire B.C. coast from border to border for almost 15 years now and I've had one to many dive spots picked clean of life.. i'm all for the livaboards, it is the only real way to see our beautiful coast, I also enjoy my seafood but some critters don't recover as fast as others, need I mention the abalone?, nothing worse then seeing a rock wall picked clean of old rock scallops.. nothing but white scabs to remind of what was... respect the sealife, its all I ask, just my two bits.. thanks..

Xalarian:
From what I've seen and heard from many local divers, the Nautilus is terrible for raping and pillaging the bottom, ..

I've done two trips on the nautilus (Port Hardy and the Gulf Islands) and never saw any taking of sealife by divers or crew. As far as I can recall, Mike didn't even serve sea food at meal times. IMHO, Mike and his crew were some of the more respectful and ecologically conscious operators I've seen.

The diving was great (if you like it cold) and the crew were top notch.

Xalarian:
From what I've seen and heard from many local divers, the Nautilus is terrible for raping and pillaging the bottom

Huh?!? I've been on the Nautilus Explorer 6 times and I've never seen a diver taking marine life. From time to time there might be the odd salmon or halibut taken with rod and reel for dinner but that's it. Mike is very environmentally conscious and I can't imagine him allowing anything like what your talking about take place on his boat.

Clinton Bauder

I too, have been on the NE and I NEVER saw anyone take anything except pictures. I find it hard to believe that Mike would condone such a thing, let alone allow it on his vessel. I think you are sorely mistaken and need to mind your accusations.

All I'll say is I hope it doesn't happen. I have alot of concern about the well being of the marine life in and around my local area, it has been hit way to hard in the past, and IF i've been mistaken, I apologize. However, thats only IF i've been mistaken.

"IMHO, Mike and his crew were some of the more respectful and ecologically conscious operators I've seen. "
I second that.
A great boat and top notch crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom