Crazy bad foot cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Like many divers, I've had foot cramps here or there throughout my diving career but never really given them much thought and they haven't been bothersome for more than a minute or so. But lately I've been getting severe foot cramps that are trying to ruin my dives.

They happen out of the blue (hehe) and are so bad I have to remove my fin and work very hard to remove the cramp. Often it will take five or more minutes before I can put a fin back on without causing another cramp. The right foot is more likely to seriously cramp up but I've had both feet do it once or twice, too.

I've changed fins, alternated feet as it does seem better in one fin over the other but that's often not enough to relieve the cramp, and tried different foot positions in the fin as much as possible. Nothing really helps.

I eat well, I'm in ok physical shape, I rarely get cramps when I'm not diving.

Yesterday I had a pretty bad one that even made me think of chucking the whole dive and going back to the boat. That's just not acceptable so I'm hoping maybe someone has some ideas :)

I'd be suspicious of your footwear ashore.

i'd aim for the the doc
if you got a gazzilion dives under your belt,you know it's not the fins,boots,or gripping your toes!!!!

figure out when it started
best
yaeg

@Dandy - bare feet :) sometimes flippy flops!

@j.yaeger - unfortunately...umm...well, let's just say our medical care sucks. If it becomes chronic or totally debilitating I will have to add the dr possibility but until then I'm hoping to find some alternatives or possible answers.

@Dandy - bare feet :) sometimes flippy flops!
Bingo! :cool: Get some water shoes with good support. Reef is more known for their flops and sandals now, but they still make good shoes.

Proper hydration, maybe find a drink with electrolytes and minerals?

something new........
when did it start???
youve been diving forever,so it has to be something that has changed,including your body!
new diet?
new job?
new porsche with a tight clutch peddle????
G'luck
yaeg

I have really flat feet. When I switched from straps to springs, my foot cramps were no longer a problem.

Try a tiny bit of Epsom salts before you dive. Like dampen your finger, stick the tip of it in the pack then under your tongue. My mum finds this relieves acute cramping. Magnesium sulfate is the active ingredient if u want to google it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom