Which split fins are best for me ?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Adam and welcome to the board.
Before buying split fins may I suggest you try them for yourself and compare them with other quality fins. I am one the few who don't like them. I had heard all the "good" things about then and was sure I would like them but being a tightwad I wanted to try a pair before buying a pair (I already own a good pair of quality fins so I really did not need a new pair, just thought I wanted them). I have tried them on 2 occasions (2 different brands/types) and don't like them. I lost speed and control. I tend to use a couple of kick styles at different times and they simply don't work at all with split fins. I have been told "I need to learn how to use them" which may be true. In any case, if you like them great but before paying good money, try several types before you buy. You may just find that you are one of us who don't care for them.

Hi I tryed the scubapro(black) apollo and atomic split fins.
I ended up favoring the atomics and buying them!
But I still use my scubapro XL jetfins for some dives!
cyas Rick L

I am currently using the TUSA Xpert Zoom splits.

I have found that for pure recreational diving, these perform as advertised, providing me more power with less effort (ankle kicks do the job of a knee kick using paddles), reduced air consumption, and better bottom times.

However, when doing things beyond pure recreational (tekkie stuff, photography, etc) I am discovering some of their shortfalls. Certain kicks don't work as well as when I was in my TUSA Imprex paddle fins. And one day I'd like to try out the Mares Quattro's.

Essentially I've discovered that one must fit the fins to the type of diving you are doingas you would fit the BC and regulator.

So like the others have said, consider the type of diving you see yourself getting into in the long run, then narrow the field down to the 2 or 4 fins that you are interested in, and then test dive them. Make sure you put them through lots of tests and trials before you plop the cash or plastic on the counter.

Just one thing to consider with the splits....
We dive off of a boat with a swim platform but no ladder....
The guys with the plain old blades jump right outta the water....
The guys with the splits need to be pulled up over the stern....
Sorta like whales up the chute on a whaler....
Only we don't have the flensing knives....

I think that I have solved my fin problem.I wish it hadn't cost me three
sets of fins but it did. As some of you know from an earlier post, I wear
a size 14 shoe and use a Dry Suit. I first bought the Bio split fins in
Extra Large. I like these fins, however; they are a tight fit over DUI
Rock Boots (DUI CF 200 suit) Really hard to get on and off. I than won
a Harvey's Dry suit Aqua Capsul (Really big boots) and the Bio's wouldn't
work with this suit. So, I bought a set of SCUBAPRO Twin Jets in XL
and also had a tight fit on the Harvey and a little better fit with the
rock boots. They were also hard to take on and off with the Harveys &
the DUI. So, I tried the Spring Straps on the Twins. This didn't work at
all. So, I started lookong for Turtle fins (Not many LDS carry them.) I
found a pair locally and tried the foot pocket with the Harvey's boot as
it's the largest. It fit with room to spare! I had them take the spring
straps off the twins and put a little (13) bigger size spring on the Turtles
They worked just fine with the Harvey's too, room to spare! I haven't
been diving yet with them...but feel the fit will be great. So now I have the
the Bio's (I'll use for Tropical diving/swiming) the Twin Jets with rubber straps
re-installed as back-up and the Turtles for dry suit diving. I wish LDS
would allow you to dive with fins before purchase...but alas they do not.:(

Hi regards which fins are best afraid i dont know. But i did go through this about 3 months ago and after lots of searching i went with the apollo split fins (natures wing design) i belive these were the first to use this.
The fins cost more than the others but WOW what a difference i am no longer the one at the back panting. It only takes very gently kicks and away i go these are buy far the most impressive kit i have bought in a long time.

Hope this helps

ps love the way the buckle works as well :)

Hope this helps

I would just like to thank everyone for there input on my question,
im going to one of the "BIG" local dive stores this weekend to try some fins (i hope) so hopfully i'll have some for next week.
i'll post on board what i buy, just to give some info back hehe

Thanks again

i've tried both. The apollos (biofins) are mine and the twin jets are my best friends'.. i think the best way to judge fins are:

1. FUNCTION
2. FEEL

both FUNCTION equally as well... the twin jets have a longer blade.. that's why they give more thrust and hence a slightly higher speed in one of rondale's scubadiving surveys.

However, the difference is insignificant.

as for the FEEL, the apollos were much more comfortable and easier to fin (-ve buoyant) so they tend to naturally sink on your down stroke and makes it easier and more comfortable....(you could argue that since it's -ve buoyant, it'll be tougher on the upstroke! but somehow, we (me n my best friend) agreed that it was much more comfortable on the apollos... BUT he says he'll still stick to his scubapros)

In conclusion, both fins are excellent and the top2 in the fin reviews.... however, i'd go for the apollos cause i feel they're more comfortable... But in all cases, u should always try a pair on before deciding on which one..

hope that helps.

The Apollos are very comfortable and efficient. Watch the sizes as they run larger than expected, at least compared to practice in years past. A size medium is approximately equivalent to the old "large". Funny, there is the same phenomenon in the garment industry. I guess it's related to the improved, higher calory diet available to the current generation.

hey everyone,
...i did post what i bought but it must not have worked....anyway
i got the tusa split fins ...seem to be great...i tryed all the recomended by everyone and the tusa fitted the best....so i think its the fin that fits you best is allways the fin for you ...so everyones different :D
thanx again for all your help...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom