Where were you first introduced to the Back Kick?

When were you first introduced to the Back Kick?

• Open Water

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Advanced Open Water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Specialty Course

• Cave/Cavern Course

• GUE Fundamentals or Primer

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • UTD course

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • private instruction

• Web/You Tube/Other

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • mentoring

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Saw another diver do it

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I don't know any back kick

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my OW class. I have said this before, but I was taught by cave divers so I could cave dive. Cave training basically started for me before I even got in the pool.

I learned about the back kick and the non-silting kicks here, and watched videos to see how they look. I still can't manage to go backwards, but I'm going to practice more when I finally get all my own gear.

I heard about it when my kids were doing their PADI AOW course which included a PPB dive (I had done a NAUI AOW, so I'd never heard of PPB). I was so envious that I tried to figure it out through trial and error, plus observation. It didn't even occur to me to try to look up a You Tube (or maybe YT wasn't as ubiquitous then as it is now). As an instructor, I now introduce it during AOW, but I don't require mastery.

I was taught frog by my PADI OW instructor. back kick, helicopter turn, and modified frog I saw when diiving with a couple GUE trained buddies. After that I spent many hours on my own working on them and still do whenever I'm in the water. I teach it in AOW and all classes after.

I have no idea when I learned to do a "helicopter" or a back kick. I know that when I first saw some of the tech agencies promoting their instruction that included these techniques I realised that I was already doing them. I never was taught to do them, they were just naturally developed techniques to effeciently move under water.

I voted "mentoring."

I was introduced to both the frog kick and penetration wreck diving in San Diego. I showed up solo at the boat with two years' recreational experience and had the great good fortune to buddy with a local diver who gave me lots of tips and suggestions between dives. His kick in particular was something I asked about.

He had been diving since the '50s and was the most cordial and relaxed buddy anyone could ask for. I try always to fill that role when I agree to buddy up with someone looking for a buddy on the boat.

-Bryan

Deep Air course by my mentor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom