Where do I get the MMSI number

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just registered my unit and the directions say to enter the MMSI number. Where do I get the number?

Thanks. They should update their instructions on how to get a number.

Hello, thanks everyone for the replies.

For MMSI registration, please visit our website www.nautiluslifeline.com/support_mmsi for instructions. This will direct you to the Boat US website to fill out a short registration form. Once finished, you will receive your free MMSI number and you can enter it into your Lifeline using the Nautilus Lifeline Setup Utility under "Advanced". Be sure to "Apply Settings to Lifeline" and you are all set to go! I hope this helps!

Best,

Nautilus Lifeline

I have been trying to get an MMSI number in in Taiwan. What a nightmare. Is the unit useless without this number.

The advertising seems to suggest ease of use, but no warning about the ability/inability to get this number. I do not know much about VHF radios, like most of us and this seems like an critically important issue. Surely, this should be highlighted in the advertising/marketing of the product?

So can Nautilus Explorer give me any information, or do I need to return the unit for a refund?

Thanks

I have been trying to get an MMSI number in in Taiwan. What a nightmare. Is the unit useless without this number.

The advertising seems to suggest ease of use, but no warning about the ability/inability to get this number. I do not know much about VHF radios, like most of us and this seems like an critically important issue. Surely, this should be highlighted in the advertising/marketing of the product?

So can Nautilus Explorer give me any information, or do I need to return the unit for a refund?

Thanks

Thank you bigduke12, we want you to be happy and stand behind our ease-of-use mentality whole-heartedly. It puts a knot in our stomachs as soon as we hear that anyone experiences obstacles in setting up their Lifeline for their dives.

First of all, it is important for us to note that an MMSI number is only required for the Red Button to function. The Green and Orange Buttons both function without an MMSI number because they operate on normal VHF rather than DSC (Digital Selective Calling). 99% of the time, a drifting situation can be resolved with a quick call to the boat with the Green or Orange Buttons.

We do, however, agree that the Red Button is an important component of your Lifeline and want you to have that option available. Alternatively to registering for your MMSI number individually, vessel MMSI numbers are public information and are normally available from a quick search on Google or another search engine. In this way, you may utilize the MMSI number of the vessel from which you are diving next for the purposes of that trip. Or, if you regularly dive from a particular vessel, see if you would be able to use that number for the purposes of your dives. Once your Lifeline has an MMSI number, your unit is fully functional anywhere in the world.

I hope this helps! Best regards,

Nautilus Lifeline

Thank you bigduke12, we want you to be happy and stand behind our ease-of-use mentality whole-heartedly. It puts a knot in our stomachs as soon as we hear that anyone experiences obstacles in setting up their Lifeline for their dives.

First of all, it is important for us to note that an MMSI number is only required for the Red Button to function. The Green and Orange Buttons both function without an MMSI number because they operate on normal VHF rather than DSC (Digital Selective Calling). 99% of the time, a drifting situation can be resolved with a quick call to the boat with the Green or Orange Buttons.

We do, however, agree that the Red Button is an important component of your Lifeline and want you to have that option available. Alternatively to registering for your MMSI number individually, vessel MMSI numbers are public information and are normally available from a quick search on Google or another search engine. In this way, you may utilize the MMSI number of the vessel from which you are diving next for the purposes of that trip. Or, if you regularly dive from a particular vessel, see if you would be able to use that number for the purposes of your dives. Once your Lifeline has an MMSI number, your unit is fully functional anywhere in the world.

I hope this helps! Best regards,

Nautilus Lifeline

Thanks,

BTW, it was me who emailed you as well.

I think you should also be aware of the following.

In Taiwan, and possibly elsewhere, an individual cannot get a MMSI number.
I understand the you can use the boats number, or any other boat I would assume? My problem is we use different boats, and the skippers usually cannot speak English. This leads me to my next question.

I got a MMSI number from boatus website. There is a feature to override the requirement of a US address. However, it gives a warning that the MMSI number, will NOT be recorded in the International Search and Rescue database.
So, million dollar question is; if I use this MMSI number to activate the unit, will the red button function still work properly, and send my GPS coordinates alert message to vessels within the 18KM radius?

I think the product is a great idea BTW.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2012 at 08:44 AM ----------

My issue with the MMSI number has been resolved. Hope I never have to use the product.

I must say the response from Nautilus has been excellent. They responded to my email quickly.

Back
Top Bottom