Diving the Azores?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregT943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I know the Azores aren't exactly mainland Europe but I figured this was the right place for this post. Does anyone have any experience diving the Azores? I'm trying to find a good dive trip to do this September and I read a few articles about the Azores, but I'm having some trouble getting some first hand info from people who have dived there. How is the diving? Any recommended dive shops? Best time to go? etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Guys

Haven't dived there but being Portuguese I hope I may be of some assistance, at least until you find someone who's been there.

Diving in the Azores can be excellent. Very good visibility, marine life, some wrecks and caves... But there are 9 islands there and I guess you need to start by choosing one. Don't know if you'll keep to those with direct flights or if you are willing to take additional flights. I guess that doesn't really matter as there are interesting things to see on all the islands.

There are also some ocean banks and if you want to try to visit them then the choice of island matters.
Here's a video of the Princesa Alice Bank Banco Princesa Alice on Vimeo I'm sure there are a lot more on youtube. You can also search for Dollabarat.

I was in San MIguel for a diving trip
I liked it very much
but I now someone els with 1000 dives who thougt is was not so great for film !!!!
for me it was nice clear water fich and corals
but maybe th diving shool makes the difference
I was in villa Franca
with esprito AZUL
two marine bioligist if I remember well Carlos and Nelios
it is al wel organized and respectful and safe
Nelios is also the clown of the shool always lafhing and maken jokes and having fun
but quality comes first
if some one go's there please give him my regards of the hobbit king

We arrange dive trips to the Azores. Limited diving season, June to September. We can arrange direct flights, not stopping in Portugal. Please feel free to explore our website, SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME We have a link to Azores, dive facility and general information. My boss actually grew up there, so we know the islands in great detail.

Back
Top Bottom