Got some gear and signed up for AOW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do many people equate more time = better divers?

i didn't say that, did I?
and i'll never will, simply because IMO when you get the certification you are indeed a diver but that's when the real learning and building on your experience starts in order to become a better diver
that is when you are on your own, out of the comfort of having your instructors around you to help you out, and need to put those skills you learned to a real test
i do think tho that more time training builds your confidence more

when we decided to get certified we looked at all the possibilities and we chose ACUC because of their through training schedule of a total of 10 weeks plus the required 4 checkout dives
in those 10 weeks we covered a much wider set of skills than any of the other certifications we looked at, maybe it has to do with what the instructor feels its important too
those 10 weeks allowed us to practice everything at a leisurely pace without the pressure of knowing you have a very tight schedule to cram it all in and for those that had difficulties with certain skills there was enough time to stay on the side and spend extra time on getting a good handle on them
its in light of all we did for our training that i find it impossible to cover it in a weekend, plus you wouldn't really have the luxury of extra time to deviate from the regular schedule

i didn't say that, did I?
and i'll never will, simply because IMO when you get the certification you are indeed a diver but that's when the real learning and building on your experience starts in order to become a better diver
that is when you are on your own, out of the comfort of having your instructors around you to help you out, and need to put those skills you learned to a real test
i do think tho that more time training builds your confidence more

when we decided to get certified we looked at all the possibilities and we chose ACUC because of their through training schedule of a total of 10 weeks plus the required 4 checkout dives
in those 10 weeks we covered a much wider set of skills than any of the other certifications we looked at, maybe it has to do with what the instructor feels its important too
those 10 weeks allowed us to practice everything at a leisurely pace without the pressure of knowing you have a very tight schedule to cram it all in and for those that had difficulties with certain skills there was enough time to stay on the side and spend extra time on getting a good handle on them
its in light of all we did for our training that i find it impossible to cover it in a weekend, plus you wouldn't really have the luxury of extra time to deviate from the regular schedule

But the problem is t4e, you did say that, though not in direct words. Your even saying it now. People learn differently. I had a NAUI instructor who was HORRIBLE at the lecture part. he could have spent 20 weeks trying to explain it to me and I would not have had more than a basic understanding of it all (I passed w/ 80% which was the minimum grade to pass at the LDS in 1990ish). The way he taught, and I learned was horrible. Now flip it over to the pool side, he showed me once and that was it. The way he taught the confined water dives and the way my brain processes information were in sync and I picked up skills immediately, even when I was in severely misfitting gear (reason for the failed O/W, I was fighting gear since it didn't fit me). Now, when I took a PADI course in college it was different. The instructor had a great method for teaching which I was able to process, understand and retain. This class was a LOT shorter than the NAUI class, yet, some reason the information stuck. Sadly, the guys pool teaching was lacking, but since the NAUI Instructor did a great job at it, I still remembered a lot of the skills and was rusty at first but quickly dusted it off (and failed to get the O/W referral because 1/2 way in I tore the calf muscle from my bone and missed all but 4 pool sessions).

Basically, in my 1st hand experience, having taken classes from 2 Organizations from 3 different instructors in 3 different states, the quality of the instructor meshing with the way you process information plays a big deal in how fast you can learn things.

But the problem is t4e, you did say that, though not in direct words. Your even saying it now. People learn differently.

i know i suck at putting thoughts in writing but i didn't think i was that bad lol
don't know what came out but i thought the last sentence made it very clear that i am speaking about me personally, i cannot imagine myself doing it all in a weekend

but of course we can always just let it be and agree to disagree :D

Well, I definitely don't think you could cram all of PADI OW into a weekend, could you? We had 10-12 hours of pool time before we even got to the checkout dives. Plus the book, videos, and several hours of classes. I compare the amount of work and learning to learning how to drive a car - which you would also never do in a weekend, but you could do in a few weeks.

It's also like driving a car in that people in their first few years make a lot of mistakes. Heck, I got in 2 minor car accidents when I was 16, in the same week (but none since). *And* it's still worth it to learn.

It sounds like the PADI AOW is probably a lot easier to get and more low-key than the NAUI AOW. Fair enough. It's up to every diver to be smart about diving within their limits. An AOW card doesn't make you super(wo)man!

I didn't mean to start a PADI vs NAUI vs anything else thread! Touchy topic.

I didn't mean to start a PADI vs NAUI vs anything else thread! Touchy topic.

Welcome to Scuba Board. For what it is worth, I personally don't think it makes a hill of beans worth of difference what agency you use. What does matter is your instructor, and what you do with the knowledge you gain. Most of what I have learned about diving has been from diving with really good divers who have more experience than me. I suspect that will continue to be true.

I did my PADI OW in Mexico, in 3 days. I had a terrific instructor and was one on one with him the entire time. I came out of that training and started wreck diving here at home and looked like I had been doing it for years according to those I dove with. I then did my PADI AOW almost immediately here in NC and that instructor is no longer an instructor. But I learned some incredibly valuable "negative lessons" if you will from that course as well. I have since taken a great Naui Wreck class and Naui Rescue class, but I didn't pick Naui, I picked the instructor.

I'm sure that many could flame my path, but I am a solid diver and have not suffered a bit from the path I chose. I'm pretty sure that the OP will not either, as she has plans to dive, dive, and dive.

A little update: the Envoy Deluxe was on backorder, and it might not be ready for our AOW class, so they gave us the Onyx for only $40 more to make up for it. It's a very pretty regulator. I like the fact that it has a cold water kit available, if we ever need that, and I like the flexible hose.

My Zena BC has camo blue on the corset - so pretty! I just picked up the BC and regulator today. DH got his last week.

We did manage to get an hour in the pool last week, and we'll get an hour in the pool tomorrow too, just to get used to the new gear and practice some basic skills. And then May 5 we're heading up to Fantasy Lake for 1 long or 2 short dives, depending on the water temps and how we feel. Another LDS is having their spring kick-off there, so it'll be nice to get a chance to check out the quarry, meet some new people, and actually dive in the 30-60ft range before we get to AOW class.

Our usual LDS is a PADI shop, and the one with the diving pool is SSI. And when you mention one place to the other, they don't hate each other. Refreshing! (Actually, the SSI shop gave us free equipment rental in the pool since we were new - nice.)

Congratulations on the new gear! It is an expensive outlay at first but the convenience and comfort value far outweigh the cost. Long term it will prove to be a good financial decision but in the short term it is just plain fun. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom