Fill Station on Wheels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
As many of you have gathered, I'm currently designing my "home" fill station (partial pressure blending system, Bauer Oceanus gas engine compressor, 3 bottle bank/cascade system, LF hyperfilter) + O2 and He bottle.

I have a nice enclosed trailer w/ a ramp and am thinking that I could put this system on wheels for when we go on weekend dive trips to the Fl Keys or North Central Florida caves.

Assuming that I can properly "snorkel" the compressor engine's fresh-air intake and exhaust and further properly secure the bottles, etc., what am I missing?

Bad Idea? Good Idea?

All that comes to mind is the " DOT" .
What do they have to say about cylinders in an enclosed trailer ?

A compressor on wheels to take with sounds great , but hauling around cascade bottles sounds heavy to me. Each bottle has a weight of about 150 to 170 #'s, and they aren't something i would want to be moving around often.

I would say take the compressor and some extra dive tanks, let the cascade system stay at home.

Jim Breslin

Personally I would definately consider putting a compressor and storage cylinders on a trailer but dont take my word for it. I bet you want O2 in the trailer too and that isn't illegal. Maybe I'm wrong but its my guess that the DOT dosent have much to say about it. Do they make a practice of inspecting personal trailers now? Anyway, yea find out if it is seriously illegal but I doubt it. I have seen welding vans that accomodate gas or diesel welders and LP compressors vented outside with O2 bottles inside with no problems. Aside from being able to go on the road how is it different than what you might otherwise have taking up space in your garage? This is very doable but I bet you get the range from "No way" to "great idea" depending on temperament.

Many fire departments use trailers or trucks to transport their dive rescue gear and that includes many tanks and compressors. Gear must be secured but it should be, even in a garage. As always, use good sense and procede.

See Breathing Air Systems high pressure Bauer Compressor, cascade system, SCBA Fill Station

or google scba fill trailer or the like.

Your neighors may even welcome the idea of you filling your tanks away from home.

You can keep all your dive gear safely stored and locked up in the trailer out of sight. The trailer can be ventillated for good airflow for drying gear and preventing condensation inside. Saves garage space too.

Have Fun

hawksbill - great minds think alike! Thanks for you input and info.

I think that I'll set up my fill station in my garage first but still make the system portable for future purposes (i.e., flex tubing, quick release fittings, etc.). I want to the get "feel" for filling air and Nitrox first without the trailer hassle. One step at a time I guess....

Cheers

Hi Gxsr_Sarge, curious did you ever set up your garage home fill cascade system? if so , any pictures/plans/parts lists, ect? thanks. Tom

I think with DOT they would be concerned about the weight over your trailer axle and if your carrying any type of multi gas in commercial cylinders your trailer would have to display the proper dangerous good signs. DOT officers have close to the same powers as most highway patrol officers they can be nasty bastards at times and make your life miserable with fine after fine just ask any truck driver.

I put my compressor on wheels. You just have to be sure that the compressor won't vibrate off the stand or tip over.

DOT couldn't care less about your trailer or compressor or oxygen or cylinders -- unless you are carrying 1,000 pounds or more of compressed gas cylinders.

If you are carrying 1,000 pounds or more of compressed gas cylinders, then you fall under the DOT's rules for commercial transportation of compressed gas cylinders (even if you are not a commercial enterprise). That includes hazardous cargo placards, weigh stations, etc.

If you are running the compressor inside your trailer, don't forget cooling air. You will need to have it located next to a large hole in the wall so that you get air flow through the compressor. Some put a door on the side to open for the air inlet and leave the front door open for the hot air to escape.

I've done about a half dozen portable compressor systems over the years, the biggest thing (after keeping the exhaust out of the intake) has been mentioned, but I'll stress it again: venting. There are lots of heat sources and lots of water, you gotta deal with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom