OT- Any divers from the Jupiter area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver4life

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a job opportunity in Jupiter and I was wondering if any of you are from around that area. What the area is like, traffic, crime, good places to live etc.
I have done a few drift dives there but never ventured around other than that. You can pm me with info/opinions if you don't want to reply here.
Thanks,
Doug

We are about 25 miles north of Jupiter and often wish we were a little further south as we like diving Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach just N of West Palm.

Lots of great places to live between Juno Beach and Hobe Sound, some not too expensive. Smallish town=better in my view.

I live in the north end of Palm Beach Gardens off of Donald Ross: most people assume my neighborhood is in Jupiter, so I can speak as a 'near resident' of Jupiter. I do most of my shopping in Jupiter, most of my diving with Jupiter Dive Center and go to Jupiter Beach when my wife and I want to walk the dog on the sand. There are a lot of pleasant parks in Jupiter (e.g. River Bend park) and some arts activities (Maltz theater).

I have no idea of the crime stats, but this feels like a very safe place to live. I've been here a little over 5 years and have never had any issues that you might not experience anywhere else in the country.

It is hard to give advice on where exactly to live since home price ranges are extreme in Jupiter. Admiral's Cove, a gated community, has many $1+ million homes. Abacoa has many homes in the $300K range and probably less for some of the condos, there are a few areas like Jupiter Farms that are not gated and a little more 'wild west' like where homes can range from the mid-150's up to $700K or $800K and houses are on 1+ acre lots but there are no Home Owners Association enforcing any sort of standards. By the way, I don't mean to be duragatory when I say 'wild west': I live in a neighborhood that is very similar to Jupiter Farms, so have personally made the choice to avoid a gated community.

If you don't mind driving to work or diving, you can find some great deals on homes and condos in the Port St. Lucie area. There are also some really nice but not terribly expensive neighborhoods in Stuart but the commute can be a haul if you are far from I-95.

Palm Beach Gardens (PGA Blvd) also has a range of home prices, but probably has more opportunity for less expensive homes and condos.

In both PBG and Jupiter, note that the age of the population increases dramatically in the winter with snow birds. Most tend to be from NY or New England. Depending on the vibe you like, that could be a good thing or bad thing. Anyway, the restaurants are more crowded during the winter, but slack off in the summer.

I completely enjoy living here after having spent time in Chicago, Detroit, Columbus Oh, Philadelphia and southern California.

Hi Doug,

I've lived in Jupiter for the past 23 years and absolutely love it here! Crime rate is low, and you have all kinds of options as to where to live for a large range of prices. Traffic is not that bad, as Jupiter is a fairly small town. You'll love it here!

Oh, and the diving is fabulous!!!!

Wow thanks for all the info. Makes me even more excited about it now. I was/still am a little apprehensive about the housing affordability.
Thanks again,
Doug

I live in the "Wild West" aka Jupiter Farms. We get all kinds in these parts. There was a news story about a year ago that home invasions are down because it's residents are known to be "packing." LoL! It's a great place to live and you can even have a cow living on your front porch if you want. Jupiter diving is great, the best on Florida. I used to guide with JDC, now with Blue Tang. Try Emerald for some real adventure. All good ops.

One thing you'll have to get use to down here is elderly drivers....5-10 miles UNDER the speed limit in the LEFT lane, w/the RIGHT turn signal permanently on AND a cell phone in their ear....Don't bother honking, they're deaf or they just ignore you.....Where is a good 'public transportation system' when you need it most ;( !!!!!!!!!!

I live in Jupiter. I'm by the beach. I wouldn't live anywhere else. All of Jupiter beaches were snatched back from developers about 20 years ago by Palm Beach County and commissioners Karen Marcus and Bill Medlin. I was one of their walkers. Every inch of Jupiter's beaches is accessible and lots of parking. We have just the right amount of "city feel".

We have the River Walk. Shortly you will be able to walk the entire length of Jupiter along the intracoastal waterway on one side and shops and restaurants on the other. Most of it is complete
We have great dive ops, restaurants, theatres etc. If you really needed to get more cosmopolitan, right on our south boundary you'll find Palm Beach Gardens and there very happening Down Town, Mall and Legacy Place.

Do some googling on the stuff I posted. If somebody is gonna pay you to come here, you'd be making a mistake IMO if you did not come. I suspect you are likely in the medical or biotech field. We Have Scripps, Max Planck and lots of spinoffs. Jupiter works hard to be business and industry friendly. Admittedly there is a big focus on medical, but we want to see all our business's prosper.

(Oh, also google "Dion; dog mayor of Jupiter Beach".)

For grins, I just did. I got like 10 pages lol.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 07:58 PM ----------

Oh. And as Amazz said above, Jupiter Farms has cows. Also big homesteads, horses, pigs, emus, etc. But only 12 to 20 minutes (depending on how far back you might be) to the best diving Florida has to offer. Plus the "Farms" has two really cool parks. River Bend is mostly kayaking and canoeing and (Angie help) the other is mostly devoted to Equestrian activities.

I don't know if it is still done, but one of my buddies who lived in the farms had a "membership" at the Jupiter Beach Resort. He had all this land West of town, but on Sundays he was chillin by the beach front pool and tikki bar (13 minutes. I clocked it)

I'm flying in friday to check out the job and the area. Hope it all works out. Would love to be that close to awesome diving all the time.
Regards,
Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom