Anyone remember "For Scuba Only"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PD_Medic

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Back when I got certified it was a quarry up near Kansas City that was open to diving. Had a bunch of stuff sunk in it to explore. Visibility was always lacking which I think is why it closed.

Just curious if anyone else had dove there.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 03:06 PM ----------

Here is an old (1990) newspaper article about when they opened.

Lawrence Journal-World - Google News Archive Search

Got certifed there back in '91. It was a quarry that was dug out for gravel to build I35. They setup 2 lakes with a sand berm seperating the 2 lakes. A pump was set up to vacuum silt off the attractions and into the filter lake. The water would filter back into the clean lake. That was the idea anyway. Last time I was back in KC I stopped by the old shop to see what local stuff was like. Asked about the quarry. They stated it silted up and closed several years ago. Not sure what year that was.

I think it was around 95 or so. I got certified there in '92 Last I had heard they tried to do something to help the water clear and it had made it worse. I believe they started allowing fishing there after it closed so I'm sure all the stuff on the bottom is a tangle of mono-filament line by now. It's a shame would have been nice if it was still around since it was close.

Make you wounder what the ultimate fate of this place is and what will become of oronogo?
I was certified in a rather large pool in way west Texas and I keep watch of it from time to time just see what goes on.
I find it funny how small place's like these hold a place with people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom