Deception Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
What a great dive, all the way to the north as far as you can go on whidbey, and I live as far as you can go on the south end.

It has so much color and there is so much life, the sun was out and it was bright on the bottom under the bridge.

Hit slack just right for a 50+ minute dive.

vis was not real good though maybe 15' in some places.

I've drooled over Jan's photos of Deception Pass for a number of years now. That's definitely on my list of must-do dives in the Sound!

The gate is open at north beach for shore dive access, and remember to have a discovery pass for state parks.
Be ready for when you see it let up and then descend, just under the bridge and past is the wall,the wall is 70 to 80', then back to huge rock pile formations as the current turns keep going for a bit further and then when turn pressure is determined, just gently ascend and enjoy the upper half of the dive. when you see sand at 30' go to safety stop and you should walk out in front of picnic shelter.

My self I shoot down to the center of pass around 125', yesterday I spent time at 114' and went east and there was zero current there.

TS&M if you have not its time again to enjoy before the bloom hits.

550084_3269909078268_1583599415_48731987_1913840663_n.jpg

Looks like timing is critical for diving Deception Pass. Check out the kayak in the whirl pool.

Hank that is a great pic of the actual dive site, up and to the right shadow is the wall that you shore dive, to the upper left that is the shadow of the bridge. I was diving around that same sunlight and shade.

So when you go to the center of bridge and it gets dark start going back up on slope east and when sunlight is now lighting up bottom you are past wall and this is an indicator when the sun is out.

I take an inflatable through there and those whirlpools are a riot, most are scared but there are many routes east and west once you have done them. Also kyaks and sailboats wait for a less current to venture through.

Oh and hank on the bottom right those bubbles are mine going to retrieve the kyak!!!

That's wild. I found that on Google. Uncle Pug posted a pic like that a few years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom