Result of discharging a firearm underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravisS.

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have first hand experience in discharging a firearm under water? I have studied ballistics just for personal interest and read a little about firing a gun underwater but wanted to see if anyone here had some experience with how the bullet & casing reacted to the given pressure.

The shell will travel at most 3 feet, usually far less.

I remember Myth Busters had an episode where they were debunking the myth of being able to kill some one deep in the water shooting from the surface. The bullet traveled few meters to a full stop IIRC.

ll it even fire at all? as the firing pin need to have enough force to contact the catridge to let the bullet 'explode' with water.. that makes it difficult.

Here is a ton on that exact topic, firing gun underwater - Google Search

Bigest problem is getting reliable hits on the primer with firing pin. The resistance from the water slows all this down. I know there are some guns that have "kit" to allow better function underwater.

Obviously the "blast" underwater will be very un-plesant and not much accuracy or bullet travel. IIRC you must use a non-expanding style bullet.

The biggest thing is the gun either needs to be FULLY filled with water or FULLY drained. Firing with air pocket (underwater) or with large amounts of water in the barrel (above water) WILL cause pressure spikes that can cause major damage.

Properly loaded ammo should be sealed well enough to not have problems with water getting inside. There is enough air in the case to allow the powered to ignite. The is no "explosion" when you fire a gun (unless it is black powder). With smokeless power (current common loads) the powder burns creating high pressure gas that propels the bullet.

There's lots of good data on this. Google it.

A company announced hypercavitating rounds at SHOT that they claim can go a long ways under water as well as transition without deflection. Pretty freaking cool if it's real.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vz0voy

I recall hearing once about the invasion of Normandy that many troops still in the sea while being fired upon were actually spared as the bullets once they hit the water would slow to a complete stop after traveling a mere few feet in the water.

Even with the kits people should understand the reason that guns are made to fire in the water is in the event you have to break the surface and fire. Guns rely heavily on a rotation created by a gun barrels rifling. in the water this spinning actually causes more resistance then if a bullet were to just travel straight in a manner that a spear gun does too.

In the end Guns simply were never made to be used under the water simply on the surface or higher.

Firing pin isn't an issue at all, at least not in the several guns I've discharged underwater. The bullet (depending on size and type) travels less than 10', but has no force hardly at all. Some glocks are good to fire underwater right out of the box. I've shot a few guns in a ziplock bag.

The lethality of a gun underwater is nearly absent, but they will fire. It is loud. You will feel the concussion. But it's only slightly worse than power heading with a speargun.

Back
Top Bottom