Balanced buoyancy advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with TSandM Posture. And I might add someof it is being concious of your body poistion. Visuallize completely horizontal.

And If your dicthing gear that BCD, Tank and Reg are a hinderence to Bouancy and also Streamlining might want to leave them on the boat. :dork2:

I'm assuming that your problem persists after doing the things mentioned in the video. Some floaty boots would be cheaper than most fin exchanges. Both if the problem continues. I thought the weights attached to the shoulder straps looked interesting. I would be quite surprised if you had to go to that extreme given the suggestions already made but... it could work. Just don't get over weighted. just get properly weighted.

Ok guys -repeat after me-"Kaz you are a bleepin eejut".
When looking for the cause of a problem look to whats different.
Back home in a 7mm wetsuit -no foot down issue yadda yadda--Ye what else is different ya nong?
I dive the al80's when "resort" diving --and a steel 15l when at home. I was trying to setup the same as at home bottle wise except the strap came in a bit.-Do a dive in a 3mm suit and my 15l bottle and bingo trim is back to normal.
Sheesh (headslap)

I use big split fins--negatively buoyant. Also, my legs are very negative. With my full farmer john 7 mil my feet are OK--maybe a tiny bit negative, but hardly noticable. Of course, it becomes a big problem if I'm only wearing the farmer john top--I do this at a certain water temp. that rarely occurs here. So, I tie floats to my ankles--awkward to look at, but for those 3-4 dives a year it works. If someone has a big problem with negative fins/legs, etc. you'd think there would be ankle "floats" you could buy at the LDS-- to be wrapped around the ankle, thus he could keep using his preferred fins. Has anyone ever heard of this? You can buy ankle WEIGHTS--why not floats? Maybe made out of plyable styrofoam/something that is not affected by pressure changes.

I agree with TSandM, with good body position in the water fins wont make a huge difference. I use jets fins with spring straps for all my dives, wet or dry and I have no issues with heavy feet. Get horizontal, arch your back, look up, bend your knees, arms in front and youll be fine.

Start borrowing some fins and see what happens. I found my oms slipstreams to be a good fin but made my feet sink. I tried a pair of jets and presto good feet position. YMMV
Eric
I dived with Jets (rubber) for 20 years. As I aged, for some reason my feet began getting more negative. I tried the OMS slipstreams because they are a positive composite. I found them too stiff, but good trim.
I think you might have had a brain fart and Transposed fins. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom