Oneida Lake sunken tugboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tim d & chris m along with myself are working Oneida Lake together and we are currently working on a map of all the wrecks in the lake that will be available in the future for all divers to enjoy. Here are a couple scans of the sailboat that tim d found.

S00156.jpgS00167.jpg

The coordinates are not available at this time.

Last edited:
These are some sidescan images of the tug that I got from a friend. These where taken on the coordinates that we have tried diving at. Hopefully we can get back out early this summer before the vis gets really bad.

Sorry but these scans are not the tugboat, but they are scans of Apps #1 barge which is just off Cleveland shoreline. About 30 years ago the dive club used to put divers through the ice on this barge. Here is one of my scans of the same barge

S00991.jpg Double click to see coordinates.

tugwith2barges.jpgImage as to how the tugboat and 2 barges lie on the bottom in relation to each other.

I would like to clarify info on the Thomas H tugboat. She sank on May 30, 1945 and was found on May 15, 1986 by myself and fellow diver Jim A. The true coordinates are 43 degrees 12.236 North, 75 degrees 51.167 West. One of the barges that went down with her is the Jackie Eagan is located at 43 degrees 12.281 North, 75 degrees 51.282 West and the second barge the Andy is located at 43 degrees 12.200 North, 75 degrees 51.376 West. They are all fairly close to one another, but not close enough to swim to on the bottom you will waste alot of air. Better off dropping on each one so you can enjoy your dive.

Back in 1987 we did pull a permit from New York State Museum in Albany to collect & excavate archeological materials on state lands. All artifacts are on display at the H. Lee White Museum in Oswego, NY, if you wish to
visit and find out her story.

Two scans of the tug and some underwater photos of many taken years ago. The attachment is of the Jackie Eagan and the Andy that sank with
the Thomas H.

View attachment 120134View attachment 120135View attachment 120136View attachment 120137View attachment 120138View attachment 120139View attachment 120140

Thanks Tim. Just sent an email to Chris yesterday. Hope to meet up with you guys this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Tim for the information and great photos. Looking forward to meeting you in the next couple weeks. I will be sending you the May edition of Divers Digest soon. Daris

Finally dove the Thomas H this past weekend. Thanks Tim C!!

Reactions: DGK
Dove the Thomas H 9/29/2012 was a decent dive with around 10' vis. Posted a video of the dive on YouTube Onieda Lake Diving on the Thomas H - YouTube
The video gets pretty dark sometimes as I just have a GOPro camera attached directly to my dive light and it cause it to darken the video due to the light being bright. I am planning on getting a better lighting system that will fix this issue by it costs a bit. Enjoy the video and be aware it was not nearly as hard to see when the video gets dark. Also as you will see in the video it has deteriorated a bit since the images tim c posted as the pilot house and front area have fallen over to the starboard side (wreck is tilted to the starboard also) The back structure has started to fall to the side also but is still mostly intact. Due to the collapse we could no longer easily enter the engine room and didn't bother to try as we didn't want to damage the wreck any further. Still a great wreck to dive in oneida lake either early or late in the season.

Tim C,
Thank you to yourself, Chris and Tim for your efforts to find these wrecks. Do you know when the map will be ready, or when the remainder of the coordinates wile published. I have dove all of the published wrecks (Thomas H, Apps Barge, Cleveland, Jack Egan, Andy, Elsie K (the steam tug), Egan Sisters, Glass Barge) in excess of five times each and I am interested in any new coordinates available. Thanks

tim d & chris m along with myself are working Oneida Lake together and we are currently working on a map of all the wrecks in the lake that will be available in the future for all divers to enjoy. Here are a couple scans of the sailboat that tim d found.

View attachment 120146View attachment 120147

The coordinates are not available at this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom