Hair Hair Everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vaseline/baby oil then braid the hair, it keeps the salt out as well.
yes it is eco friendly...
Do you put the vaseline / baby oil over all of your hair? Is it difficult to wash out?

Do you put the vaseline / baby oil over all of your hair? Is it difficult to wash out?

It all depends on the composition of your hair. Think dirty hair, that is sticky with natural oils. Then you carry that one step further. You don't want your hair to be so greasy you touch it and your hand is slimey.. its a matter of figuring out what is the right amount for your hair. Enough so it plasters down, and stays in the braid, scrunchy, clip..
Any oil works, olive, shea butter... You can go to the hair supply store that caters to the AA section of hair.. they have some great oils and creams that is designed to go in hair and stay..or simply use the oilive oil that is in the kitchen. Whatever you get, you want it to NOT wash out while you are diving like conditioner does.. Next while you on the surface and the sun is out, the oil also continues to protect your hair.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is what I use to wash it all out of my hair... it is what is used when they have oil spills to wash birds. One good application should get most of it out.. don't strip all your hairs natural oils out... one of the reasons so many spend so much on dry hair stuff..

I use, at the moment, a creamy petroleum jelly that I get for a buck at the dollar store.. in a big yellow tube.
It washes out easily. Wallmart carries cheap travel containers I put some of the dawn in to wash my hair in hotels..

I grew up on the water.. My mom used this trick to keep my hair in check on the boats fishing as a baby and I just continued the practice as a life gaurd in high school.. with the chlorine pool water to prevent it ruining my hair.

Another trick she did was to start my braid a few inches behind my front hairline and bring it all the way to the nape of my neck.. not at the crown of my had down.. IF I braided it, it was a pony tail and then I used the extra baby oil to smooth the extra hairs down.. It all depends where your mask strap hits on your head.. but it works..

In a pitch, those packets of mayonnaise that come with your sammich... also work .. no really... mayo on the hair wrapped in saran wrap is an excellent conditioner.. It does get some pretty pithy comments as you sit on the dive boat smeaking mayo in your hair though.. :D:shocked2:

I also recommend put your hair in a pony tail or braid, then use Scünci No-slip Grip Flat Black Headwraps for the short front hair. These are headbands that don't slip so they stay in place when you put on and off your mask, or enter the water. Also they do not get tangled in your hair so removing them is easy.

Regarding mayo, olive oil, etc....another good one is Burt's Bees miracle salve - also natural and keeps that hair in place.

I also recommend put your hair in a pony tail or braid, then use Scünci No-slip Grip Flat Black Headwraps for the short front hair. These are headbands that don't slip so they stay in place when you put on and off your mask, or enter the water. Also they do not get tangled in your hair so removing them is easy.

problem, for me anyway, with stuff like that is that it tears my hear up... I have hair that is so fine, I can use a lice comb as a regular comb. I use velvet scrunchies, they are the only ones that stay in place.

Regarding mayo, olive oil, etc....another good one is Burt's Bees miracle salve - also natural and keeps that hair in place.

go to any hair care supply place and you can get tubs of shea butter for hair that is really good. I just use whatever I have at home.. right now my hair has sesame oil in it, because when I needed to put it back, no clips on the boat and the only oil was in the galley... talk about expensive.. lol

I have a swim cap, its for kids, since my head is so small.. I got tired of the comments about Wally the Whale on the side of my head.. :cool2:

I did a quick search but couldn't find it. Some women wear a (for lack of better phrasology) ponytail holder thing while riding a motorcycle. you put your hair in it and it laces up and holds everything in place. I've seen those used by women who dive and have long hair.

Hi ladies!

I have very long, thick hair. When I did my OW checkouts I was miserable. I could not keep it out of my mask. I asked my DM and he said his wife does a braid down the back. Great idea, but the more I think about it, I think that I will still have a problem as my front hair is shorter than in the back. I am thinking a swimcap, like what competetive swimmers use. I thought about using a hood, but I tried on a few different types and I hate the way it feels on my neck, like I'm being strangled. I'm still open to suggestions for a different type of hood, though. What do you ladies with long hair do? I'd like to have it all the way up, either all in a hood or swim cap, or whatever. Thanks in advance!

It all depends on the composition of your hair. Think dirty hair, that is sticky with natural oils. Then you carry that one step further. You don't want your hair to be so greasy you touch it and your hand is slimey.. its a matter of figuring out what is the right amount for your hair. Enough so it plasters down, and stays in the braid, scrunchy, clip..
Any oil works, olive, shea butter... You can go to the hair supply store that caters to the AA section of hair.. they have some great oils and creams that is designed to go in hair and stay..or simply use the oilive oil that is in the kitchen. Whatever you get, you want it to NOT wash out while you are diving like conditioner does.. Next while you on the surface and the sun is out, the oil also continues to protect your hair.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is what I use to wash it all out of my hair... it is what is used when they have oil spills to wash birds. One good application should get most of it out.. don't strip all your hairs natural oils out... one of the reasons so many spend so much on dry hair stuff..

I use, at the moment, a creamy petroleum jelly that I get for a buck at the dollar store.. in a big yellow tube.
It washes out easily. Wallmart carries cheap travel containers I put some of the dawn in to wash my hair in hotels..

I grew up on the water.. My mom used this trick to keep my hair in check on the boats fishing as a baby and I just continued the practice as a life gaurd in high school.. with the chlorine pool water to prevent it ruining my hair.

Another trick she did was to start my braid a few inches behind my front hairline and bring it all the way to the nape of my neck.. not at the crown of my had down.. IF I braided it, it was a pony tail and then I used the extra baby oil to smooth the extra hairs down.. It all depends where your mask strap hits on your head.. but it works..

In a pitch, those packets of mayonnaise that come with your sammich... also work .. no really... mayo on the hair wrapped in saran wrap is an excellent conditioner.. It does get some pretty pithy comments as you sit on the dive boat smeaking mayo in your hair though.. :D:shocked2:

Thank you - I am probably going to try a couple of these options out now; thanks for pointing out that the conditioner can rinse out.
I especially like what you said about using what you have around the house.

Love the buff! have a few at home and wondered if they would be tight enough to stay on during a dive. Went to the website and they had some neat ways to wear it that may work. I have the opposite of the OP, very fine hair that breaks easily. My mask strap is always breaking the hair, even with a my beanie cap.
A friend of mine has very long hair. She makes her own dorags with a pocket in the back. She puts gobs of hair conditioner on her hair, braids it and tucks the braid in the pocket. Seems to work well on her very thick long hair.

vaseline/baby oil then braid the hair, it keeps the salt out as well.
yes it is eco friendly...

Just how is Vaseline eco friendly? It is made from Oil the same with baby oil, which is basically just modified liquid crude.

Just how is Vaseline eco friendly? It is made from Oil the same with baby oil, which is basically just modified liquid crude.

And what is wrong with liquid crude?

Because our water here in the gulf is full of microbes that eat crude... Perhaps you were not aware that the Gulf of Mexico alone naturally leaks the rough equivalent of 1-2 exxon valdex amounts of crude to the gulf floor every year. We have our own homegrown microbres that eat the stuff up yum. During the oil spill in the Gulf of Campeche, Ixtoc I and during the BP horizon spill last yr, those same microbes exploded and had a feast on the crude. Dame with deepwater horizon.. they are always there, hungry and just waiting for a snack.

In the scheme of things, what I put in my hair is infitessimal compared to the chemical laden conditioner that many use.. Read the label on any jar of conditioner. Next, discounting the smell good stuff added, refined petroleum products are natural despite the notion otherwise, as you said, its refined crude. The problem with a naturally occurring substance is??

For those who might be interested, that has nothing to do with hair... google Ixtoc I and read the myriad of articles both pro and con out there.. It was the 2nd largest oil spill, occurred in 1979 in the Gulf of Campeche.. ymmv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom