Having a hard time finding a scuba friend, among other concerns!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any suggestions?
I don't know which shops you've been visiting. Sports Chalet and Ocean Enterprises are kind of known for having rather large classes. In my opinion, there are very good instructors associated with each entity.

Interview the instructor before signing up for his/her class. You've probably been talking to shop employees who don't function as instructors. Most of the instructors I know care about their students, are trustworthy, and exude an enthusiasm for the sport.

FWIW, the vast majority of people who sign up for a basic OW class eventually get scuba certified. If that makes the process a "diploma mill," I suppose it is what it is. Most shops will make an extra effort to give recently certified students opportunities to stay active in the sport. After all, this leads to more scuba purchases down the road. All of the shops in the San Diego area have a scuba club associated with them. The clubs plan dive vacations as well as local dive outings. You also have the option of joining "independent" dive clubs (not affiliated with any shop). One example is the MeetUp.com group: Power Scuba. Consider signing up for the email list-serv at Divebums.com. Not only will you get daily local dive reports but you can also find local dive buddies that way.

If you're looking for "that personal touch," you might be happier with a private scuba lesson. FYI, private lessons will cost a great deal more than group lessons.

I don't know which shops you've been visiting. Sports Chalet and Ocean Enterprises are kind of known for having rather large classes. In my opinion, there are very good instructors associated with each entity.

Interview the instructor before signing up for his/her class. You've probably been talking to shop employees who don't function as instructors. Most of the instructors I know care about their students, are trustworthy, and exude an enthusiasm for the sport.

FWIW, the vast majority of people who sign up for a basic OW class eventually get scuba certified. If that makes the process a "diploma mill," I suppose it is what it is. Most shops will make an extra effort to give recently certified students opportunities to stay active in the sport. After all, this leads to more scuba purchases down the road. All of the shops in the San Diego area have a scuba club associated with them. The clubs plan dive vacations as well as local dive outings. You also have the option of joining "independent" dive clubs (not affiliated with any shop). One example is the MeetUp.com group: Power Scuba. Consider signing up for the email list-serv at Divebums.com. Not only will you get daily local dive reports but you can also find local dive buddies that way.

If you're looking for "that personal touch," you might be happier with a private scuba lesson. FYI, private lessons will cost a great deal more than group lessons.

I have talked to instructors at a few locations, and could only get to salespeople/trainees in others. Scuba Enterprises doesn't have a class that fits my schedule and the pool training is too far away for me to commute. I had talked to one specifically over e-mail and after he answering my questions really well; I decided that I wanted to enroll in his weekend courses. But all of a sudden he stopped returning my e-mails so I gave up.

I do understand the costs of private lessons are HUGE and I want to avoid that. Don't want to give up on this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom