2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I had an unexpected 2 week vacation. I use the time wisely and ramped up my walking and swimming. IN the last week I did lots of walking, and all of it on concrete. No problems pain wise until yesterday.Lower shin is hurting. If I stay off it long enough the pain goes away, but comes back shortly after I put weight on it again.

Went back to swimming, but they normal feel good swims. Seemed more laboured the last 2 days. I'm thinking I need to take a one or two day break from it all, and hopefully come back strong. Still thinking I'll stick to swimming to let my shin recover.

Had a couple of nice work outs and some great diving over the past days.

Today had a bunch of energy and couldn't resist running 4K/ walking 1K
A bit of swimming

Am watching my food for a few weeks of very clean eating and increased exercise.
Dropped 3lbs last week which feels great! 7-9 lb total loss puts me back to happy high school weight :). Hope to drop a few more this week.

Oh lordy, I don't know what it's called LOL It's the outside of my right ankle - pain runs up the backside of it and under the ankle bone, when it gets tired pain also comes up over the top of the bone and up my leg. Ortho guy said that I'd done something to the ligaments/tendons (he used real terms, but I'm bad about retaining that sort of info) and that what I'd done usually takes as long as bone to heal fully, so 4-6 weeks. He said up and down flex motion is OK but anything side to side or twisting is in the "not good" category. I still don't think it's as bad as all that, but with the renewed pain, I'm willing to take it a bit easier :)

Good info, what equipment/means do you have access for exercise?

I am trying to get back in the groove. A weekend at Ginnie Springs with the fine folks of SB = lots of diving, eating, and a little drinking. :D I, of course, did not drink Saturday night. I drank for others who could not attend! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

That said, I eeked out a two mile run yesterday. It was OK once I got into it a mile or so, but was happy when I finished. This morning was W3D1 on the kettlebells. Coach, I really didn't need to see that TGU routine! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Tonight is my WW weighin. Not expecting a loss of any kind.. :(

DiverG & kathy - sounds like you're doing great :)
Chatwin - welcome!!
SJ - sounds like a great weekend!! :D

Coach - I have a treadmill and elipitical thingo, a yoga, mat a yoga ball, a jump rope and a couple of dumbbells at the house. I have miles of empty beach and a big ocean only minutes away. I have a terrible walking trail right outside the house.

Why run barefoot.. :)

Since that two mile run four days ago, I tried to run once. I wanted a nice long run, but didn't feel up to it. Ended up taking the dogs to the park for some free run, and thought I could get at least an easy short run in. But after a couple minutes, my body was screaming at me to stop. Everything was hurting. So I stopped. That was Thursday. Dived yesterday, so I guess that's exercise. :) Today I convinced a friend to run around her block. She didn't think she could go that far, but was pleasantly surprised when we finished.. about a half mile. It was just what I needed, a nice light run just to loosen everything up. Perfect.
Don't know when my next run/workout will be, my head is ready but the body (at this writing) still wants to take some time to recover.

DiverG & kathy - sounds like you're doing great :)
Chatwin - welcome!!
SJ - sounds like a great weekend!! :D

Coach - I have a treadmill and elipitical thingo, a yoga, mat a yoga ball, a jump rope and a couple of dumbbells at the house. I have miles of empty beach and a big ocean only minutes away. I have a terrible walking trail right outside the house.

Try this combo:

1.) Dumbbell Deadlift 12 reps
2.) Dumbbell Push-up/Renegade Row 5 reps per side
3.) Ball Leg Curl x 12
4.) Downward Dog into Cobra x 10 (no holding position)

Repeat 3-4 times with no rest if possible. Aim to complete 4 rounds in 12 minutes. Enjoy! :)

Coach - thanks for taking the time to put that together :)

I've been beach walking, snorkeling and diving over the past however many days since I posted here. My ankle does fine most of the activity but a couple hours afterward it starts to ache and so I put it up & hit some ice. Seems to be working as my "recovery" time is less now than a few days ago. I think keeping on doing a little bit with each day but being mindful is my best way forward. My intention this week is to pick up the pace on other things - like Coach's suggestions above maybe - and get going more seriously again.

Crab from yesterday's snorkel
APR12_137kja.jpg

Back
Top Bottom