Best Tech Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP asked
Is there an elite group of folks that could be distilled into the "must train with" crowd?

Answer -- No, I don't think so.

Reason -- Without having trained with a number of instructors, at the same level, how can one actually identify who is, or is not, an "elite" instructor? And, in reality, how many people train with "a number" of instructors at the same level -- especially at the technical level?

Of course there is the problem that occurs as a result of teaching styles not mixing with learning styles and that is certainly true at the technical level.

I've taken "technical courses" from at least four (and perhaps eight, depending on how one defines "technical") instructors. They all had their strengths and they all had their weaknesses.

Query -- what makes one an "elite" technical instructor? Unless, and until, that is defined, how can anyone even attempt to identify an "elite corps of technical instructors?"

Me, I'd never even attempt to define an "elite technical instructor" and I think I've seen several teach -- even some mentioned in prior posts.

In todays d- world of instant gratification, I stand by my original statement as a definition of elite instructors.
Eric

Is there an elite group of folks that could be distilled into the "must train with" crowd?

No. Every instructor has strengths and weaknesses. Their teaching strengths may not match up with a students learning style. Therefore, you may not learn as well with an "elite" instructor, but may learn very well from someone on the non-"elite" list.

Thanks for adding me to the list... However, I would like to correct a small error: I run programs in a wider region than the Midwest... :)

Would also second the endorsement for Larry Green.

I would also say Trace Maline, I have read a fare amount of his post and his way of writing is pretty clear to get the point across and does not leave much out. as he is also up in the dive orgs he instructs through.

I stand with Peter. I can't define "elite instructor", so I couldn't make a list of them. I do think an excellent technical instructor should have both breadth (variety of experience) and depth (time of experience, as both technical diver and instructor). I think an excellent technical instructor should have exemplary personal skills and be a superb visual model of performance. But the final thing is that the person should be able to TEACH, and that's both nebulous and somewhat subjective. I know technical instructors who are worshipped by some of their students, who I don't think teach well at all. And I know some whose style matches some divers and not others.

The instructors I have worked with who I think are excellent:

Danny Riordan (my Cave 1 instructor). Danny is negative space in the water, one of the quietest divers I've ever seen, and utterly graceful. He's good at explaining and amazingly patient for a kind of hyper guy. He also has an almost pathological degree of attention to detail. He WILL make you think.

Fred Devos. Fred is also incredibly graceful and quiet, and a fabulous example to watch. He is also patient, and much lower key than Danny. Fred is great for people who tend to be very self-critical or a little lacking in confidence.

Andrew Georgitsis. Andrew, I think, is as comfortable in the water as he is on land (or maybe more so). Joel Silverstein talks about the act of diving being transparent; Andrew's forgotten that he even DOES anything to be able to dive. He will pose problems for a student that may push the limits of what's advisable, but he will both make you think AND make you stretch your capacity. He would not be the best instructor for someone who struggles or has major confidence problems.

Joe Talavera. Joe's not teaching any more, but he's probably the single best instructor of any kind in diving that I've had the privilege of working with. He had exemplary personal skills, broad experience, and a perfect sense of when to push and when to shore up a student. Plus an extraordinary sense of humor!

Guy Shockey. Guy's relatively new at teaching tech diving, but not new to teaching, and certainly not new to technical diving. Again, exemplary personal skills (you just don't get through GUE instructor training without them) and a very clear and cogent way of explaining things. He's very good at communicating to students in the water, as well.

Dennis Weeks. Dennis is also a beautiful diver, with that quiet grace that marks the best folks in caves. He's also good at setting up in-water experiences that speak to what he sees as the student's potential weak points. One of Dennis's strong points is that he is extremely kind (which does not mean you don't have to perform!) He's an excellent instructor for a student with confidence problems.

I can not seem to locate the edit button. In post #5 it should have said Wayne Fisch, sorry Wayne.

Eric

I was wondering how Wayne Fisch or Jason Fisch didn't make the list. It makes sense now.

I can not seem to locate the edit button. In post #5 it should have said Wayne Fisch, sorry Wayne.

Eric

If you felt that was a rant, you clearly are not familiar with my work. lol

Mentioned allready:
JJ
Bob sherwood

I would add:
any GUE/UTD people,

This is really a geographic specific secret
mid atlantic:
SB players= Jim Lapenta
Steve Lewis
Michael Fisch

Abridged legend list= John chatterton
Ritchie Koehler
Dan Crowell
Ted Green
Gary Gentile
J.T. Barker

I am sure I left out alot of folks from the mid atlantic. Every region has a long list, unless you live in the desert with JAX. One interesting observation is that few of these people own or work out of any shop.
Eric

Are you shopping? or just making a list?

I trained for AN/DP with Duane Johnson (ppodiver on here - www.precisiondiving.com) and would highly recommend him. Great skills in the water, he sets the example of how one should dive at the tec level, fantastic presentations and the ability to deliver in a way the student needs to see to be able to understand. He really pushed us to be better divers and increase our envelope of comfort and our ability to deal with potential problems. He went way beyond the course standards and I really appreciate that.

BTW I didn't pass the first time through - I went to practice some skills for a few months and did a few more dives to earn my card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom