Big Island: dive flag needed while shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I spent my entire adult life diving off South Florida where you not only needed a dive flag, but it also had to be a certain size. It's strictly enforced there.

I moved to St. Croix, USVI last year and NOBODY ever uses a dive flag while beach diving. Yup, it's the law but never, ever enforced. Also, we have no boat traffic to speak of that affects shore diving, that's a good thing.

So, do people need a dive flag diving off Big Island? Is it enforced? How about boat traffic?

Mahalo!

"Legally", you are supposed to have one. Having said that... On the Big Island it is rarely enforced, but it can be... on occasion I have seen DLNR officers enforce the rule.... but they are spread pretty thin on this Island, and I think they have other "higher" priorities for their time. Just depends on where you dive. The place I've seen it enforced a couple times was Puako.

I do have a dive flag. I use it maybe a 2-3 times a year? Usually when diving at "high profile" sites like "Two step" (Place of Refuge) or Puako. I usually do not tow it, just find some rocks (or a mooring point, Leleiwi in Hilo has a concrete block with SS ring bolt) on the bottom and tie it off.

I wont tie it to coral, so if I cannot find a "dead" structure to tie it to, I just tow it during the dive.

I have mine on a plastic spearfishing "torpedo" float. It is the "typical" or "standard" dive flag size, maybe 2' diagonal, on a 2' pole? Something like that.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Yes, thank you, that helps!

According to Hawaii law:
(a) A "diver's flag" as defined by rule and measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches shall be required to be displayed on the surface of the water by any person or group of persons engaged in free diving or SCUBA diving.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a diver's flag measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches, shall be displayed on the highest point of the main structure of a non-motorized vessel that is sixteen feet or less in length overall in order to provide unobstructed view of the diver's flag from all directions when diving from the vessel.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a), in addition to the "Alpha flag" required by the United States Coast Guard, i.e., a blue flag with a white horizontal strip running from the upper left side to the lower left side, a diver's flag measuring not less than twenty inches by twenty-four inches, shall be displayed on the highest point of the main structure of any motorized or non-motorized vessel that is greater than sixteen feet in length overall in order to provide unobstructed view of the diver's flag from all directions when diving from the vessel.

(d) No person shall engage in free diving or SCUBA diving, or display a diver's flag, in a manner that shall unreasonably or unnecessarily interfere with vessels or with free and proper navigation of the waterways of the State.

(e) Except in cases of emergencies, free diving, swimming, or SCUBA diving within navigation channels shall be prohibited.

[...]

(h) The diver's flag shall be displayed only when free diving or SCUBA diving is in progress, and its display in a water area when no diving is in progress in that area shall constitute a violation of these rules.

(i) There shall be no subsurface distance restrictions from a dive flag, however, except in cases of emergencies, free divers or SCUBA divers shall be prohibited from surfacing more than one hundred feet away from the diver's flag in the ocean waters of the State and fifty feet in navigable streams.

(j) Authorized representatives of the department and life saving personnel are exempt from the distance restrictions of subsection (f) when performing functions related to their duties.

(k) Anyone violating any provision of this section shall be subject to fines and penalties as provided in sections 200-14, 200-14.5, and 200-25, HRS. [Eff 2/24/94 am July 5, 2003] (Auth: HRS §§200-2, 200-3, 200-4, 200-10, 200-14, 200-14.5, 200-24, 200-25) (Imp: HRS §§200-2, 200-3, 200-4, 200-10, 200-14, 200-14.5, 200-24, 200-25)​

[h=2]For Boaters in Hawaii[/h] From the Hawaii amendments quoted above:
(f) All vessels shall be prohibited from approaching within one hundred feet of a displayed diver's flag or within fifty feet of a displayed diver's flag on navigable streams, except within marked navigation channels. Vessels approaching a displayed diver's flag to conduct SCUBA, snorkeling, or free diving activities within the one hundred foot or fifty foot restricted area shall be allowed to do so provided that the vessel approaches at a speed of slow-no-wake.

(g) Vessels navigating through marked navigation channels are exempt from the distance restriction described in subsection (f) but shall proceed at a speed of slow-no-wake through the navigation channel when a diver's flag is displayed adjacent to the navigation channel.

Thank you, Santy. Good information. I had already researched the actual law, which is the same as here in the Virgin Islands, and I apologize for not stating as such. However, I seek local knowledge as to (a) is it enforced? and (b) is there a lot of boat traffic? Here in the USVI, at least on my island, it is not enforced. However, we also never see boats while beach diving.

In S. Florida, on the other hand, it is STRICTLY enforced...and the boat traffic is abysmal, with many divers being maimed or killed over the past several years. (

It's not enforced much on O'ahu. Actually, there are some sites where the flag actually acts as a "boat magnet." I've actually seen divers come back from a dive with the float cracked because a boat drove right over it. I have had these same boats drop anchor about ten feet from me when I was directly under my flag with students. These boats have been reported to DLNR several times...nothing has happened and nothing has changed.

It's not enforced much on O'ahu.
How about Big Island?

Actually, there are some sites where the flag actually acts as a "boat magnet."
I think that's why people here in USVI don't use a flag. They don't want to draw attention to what they are doing.

I've actually seen divers come back from a dive with the float cracked because a boat drove right over it. I have had these same boats drop anchor about ten feet from me when I was directly under my flag with students. These boats have been reported to DLNR several times...nothing has happened and nothing has changed.
That is horrific, and it is definitely a major problem in S. Florida where I lived and dove for 30 years. Non diving friends used to say "but aren't you afraid of sharks?" and I'd say "are you kidding? I'm afraid of the boats!!!"

Done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom