Uemis Zurich vs. Hollis DG05 vs. Shearwater Predator

Which Computer would you buy if money was NOT an option?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DG05 is a rebadged VRX from VR Technology. The only thing thats really new about it, is the OLED screen.

Looked at both and compared features. I do not care about air integration and many tech instructors will point out that the transmitter is a failure point not only from a dead battery but also possible loss of signal, damage to it in an overhead, or by mishandling by an overzealous mate on the boat.

In addition the manual for the dg05 is fifty some pages and the buttons stick out. Was handling one this past weekend and they also feel kind of sloppy in the way the fit. The predator has none of those things and within 15 minutes I was scrolling screens and planning basic dives with three different mixes. Very intuitive.

The other thing that impressed me about it was the dealer taking hers and banging on a tank to show how rugged it is. She has also been known to heave it across a parking lot to do that. A few scuffs on the case but screen is still clear.

My Predator shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow. A no brainer for me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I see that someone is trying to sell a DG05 on Scubaboard

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl.../415570-hollis-dg05-brand-new-never-used.html

Not sure what that means. It could be a red flag.

What you can do is get one of the recommended tech dive computers and use your OC1 as a backup. The other brand I would check is Liquivision, which also makes OLED tech computers.

As far as wireless transmitter being a failure point, I recall reading one cave diver attaching his transmitter on a short HP hose and locating it in protected spot. In any case you will still be taking a full size analog SPG on the other HP port.

Jim congrats on the Predator, you know alrady you will love it. Unlock VPM-B!!!

Have a close look at the Heinrichs and Weikamp OSTC 2n (HW) it's an open source tech computer with full trimix functionality based on the Bulhmann ZL 16 deco model with gradient factors, I have had one of these for around 10 months and am very happy with it. They produce firmware up grades every few months and there is great support community out there. For the price they are one of the best value computers going around.

The Liquivision would be the better option in your poll for comparisons. The Shearwater Predator vs the Liquivision Xeo vs the DGO5...and heck...may as well include the Cochran....a little long in the tooth but still a good tech computer. That would be an interesting pole.

My vote would be the Liquivision Xeo. er

we have both the Predator and the DG05 in the office.
The online class for the Predator is done and the one for the DG05 will be soon :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hey Alberto,

Wheres the course? I got my DG05 finally and still don't see it. BTW Got my Suunto D9TX and your course for this was awesome, thank you very much!!!

...... Wheres the course? I got my DG05 finally and still don't see it. .....
HERE ..... but it is not yet released .... hopefully next week.

....BTW Got my Suunto D9TX and your course for this was awesome, thank you very much!!!
I am glad you liked our class. Tell your friends about DiveComputerTraining :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The Shearwater is a tried and tested computer that will do anything you can reasonably expect to do. I wouldn't think twice about rebuying my Predators. Top notch service and a very solid product.

Totally agree.
What can any of these other computers do that the Predator can not? (And why anyone would want air integration on a tech computer is totally beyond me)

Totally agree.
What can any of these other computers do that the Predator can not? (And why anyone would want air integration on a tech computer is totally beyond me)

I would come back and say why not? I am still in Intro to Tech, so I am definitely not trying to argue as I am FAR from a diving hero, but I mean, I would see no reason to not, unless you are doing some caves or tight wreck penetrations. I personally have a D9TX and just got my DG05, and so far they are both awesome computers, I would see no reason to not have it. Just a nice feature and its clean. Plus as someone mentioned, which I didn't think of prior, but I ordered a Flex hose and when I do go into areas that are a bit more tight I can move it down and lock it into my BC. then it would be just like having a normal DC. Just sayin'

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 10:02 AM ----------

HERE ..... but it is not yet released .... hopefully next week.

I am glad you liked our class. Tell your friends about DiveComputerTraining :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Very cool and thanks :) finished the course on my D9tx and it really helped me out. Look forward to the DG05 being as useful

Back
Top Bottom