Diver Down question?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make it required reading for ow students, and have each student present one of the incidents and have a class discussion on what they learned.

My gf just finished reading it last night and it had a profound impact on her. It's the happiest day of my life (insert sniffle and me wiping away a tear), she has now given me a shopping list of dive gear I NEED to buy!

Now, that's a keeper! :thumb:

I have the pleasure of working with Mike at http://seaduction.com/keywestscubadiving. I admit I haven't read the entire book, but we sell them (autographed copies when he's in the shop, which is most of the time, but just reading his past columns at seaduction.com ,the magazine site, definitely got me hooked. I just have to get humble enough to buy the book, and ask my boss to autograph it, lol.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2012 at 11:37 PM ----------

It's probably because PADI or any of the other dive training agencies don't have the rights to this book, and see no benefit in selling it as part of their class. But it's something that should be recommended.

Good point!

Definitely. Maybe because Mike's an SSI guru other organizations want to steer clear of recommending it for fear that someone might want to crossover. I did my SSI instructor crossover, but am still keeping my PADI membership, so I think it's an unfounded fear.

Last edited:

Mike Ange also runs a website where he puts up new "Diver Down" stories from time to time. Can't recall the URL offhand.

The articles are posted at the magazine site for Seaduction, Seaduction® Group

Speaking of which, a recent article he did was on how to evaluate shops to see if they have proper counting procedures (like calling names from a manifest) so you don't get left behind, like the infamous story in the movie "Open Water". Our captain however has gotten into a habit of saying, "If anyone's not here please say your name now." Obviously that doesn't work... Even though he uses the manifest to check himself, he doesn't always call out the names, sp for people evaluating the charter that could give them the wrong impression. Going to have to show him that article or bring it to Mike's attention.

I have the pleasure of working with Mike at SEAduction ® Dive Center-Key West SCUBA Diving Charters, Instruction, Rentals, and Service.. I admit I haven't read the entire book, but we sell them (autographed copies when he's in the shop, which is most of the time, but just reading his past columns at seaduction.com ,the magazine site, definitely got me hooked. I just have to get humble enough to buy the book, and ask my boss to autograph it, lol.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2012 at 11:37 PM ----------

Definitely. Maybe because Mike's an SSI guru other organizations want to steer clear of recommending it for fear that someone might want to crossover. I did my SSI instructor crossover, but am still keeping my PADI membership, so I think it's an unfounded fear.

Ill be in the area next month, maybe I'll pop in and see about getting an autographed copy.

OK you got me intrigued, just ordered it and should have it in time to start reading on the way to Catalina Sat....

For parents of young divers who want "peace of mind," they need to read all they can --stories of survival, near misses, and the ones lost to us forever. Being a member of this forum can accommodate the quest for knowledge. Our sons and daughters may not take risks such as notable divers who have passed away in the water and those whom have simply passed away from other non dive related causes. Those parents should also research the benefits that DAN provides. DAN provides a report of how many divers pass away each year from scuba related accidents, .....personally, I am more worried about the first time my daughter drives the car. This forum provides a sanctum for researching and asking questions, non are stupid. Ask away, quench the knowledge, reach deep within...

Last edited:
I picked up the book in Dubai last month; just finished it the other day. It held my attention from cover to cover. The short stories with a mixture of tech insights offered a very good learning platform. Last Friday, while diving in the Persian Gulf, I viewed the entire trip with a whole new set of eyes, rose colored glasses removed, thinking about what I had read and how it could apply to my diving parameters. I still get a trill out of diving, but I just don't jump in blindly as I once did. I just mailed the book back to the US so my daughter can read it also.

For parents of young divers who want "peace of mind," they need to read all they can... SeahorseDeb

I could not agree more with what Deb said. For a parent to take the "Head in the Sand" approach so they can have peace of mind is not doing their child any good. I veiw diving as I view most other activities I do in life, flying aircraft, skiing, riding horses, driving a car, crossing the street, going to the post office, listening to my daughter's Rap music, they are all safe activities, but if not paying attention to conditions, can turn harmful at any minute.

IMO, truely open discussion about the respect for diving and the safety element that should be associated with diving is the best way forward. Just imagine how much could be learned if the parent was to read the book together with their child...and discuss what was just read. Well thank goodness the kids have shows like Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant & Teen Mom for that...thanks MTV for being there. :yeahbaby:

~Michael~

I just finished reading this (twice). I am grateful for the lessons it contains especially about not exceeding your training. As my profile info indicates, I am a re-noob and at this point am so jazzed just to be underwater that I have not been tempted to try anything but go down and look at all the cool stuff. Props to my regular dive buddy Mark who takes safety very seriously. Not to mention I am still thrilled when I think: I'M SCUBA DIVING!!!. I don't even take a camera usually as I am content to work on buoyancy, air consumption and navigating back to my drop down point.

Back
Top Bottom