a trip to Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinging pink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
does anyone know if the best way to set up a week long stay in Honduras?
I've been there on a cruise ship but would like to go back for a week or so.
any suggestions on where? who? what?
thanks.

If you are going to dive then for your first trip go to the island of Roatan (as mentioned above by diversteve).
Delta and Continental (now United) both have direct flights to the island on a daily basis.

There is a section on this board for this locale - Look under the sub forum Bay Islands in the Central America Section!
The chain of islands (mostly owned by Honduras) which include Roatan are referred to as the Bay Islands.

You could do both Roatan and Utila. Utila is more layback with tons of backpackers....and it's one of the cheapest place on earth to go diving. You almost have your room free if you book the dives where you stay at.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is plenty of ways to set up a visit depending on what you want to do. My wife set us up with Bananarama (bananaramadive.com) last year with an all-inclusive for a week. Flew down on Continental through Houston. This year was 2.5 weeks at the same place but not all-inclusive. And we're doing it again in September for a week but this time a direct flight with Delta out of Atlanta.

Super easy to spend a week down there. Just find an all-inclusive then see what's down there and fine tune your next stay.

You need to decide what you need for your stay. Do you want an all inclusive? Are you looking for a night life? Need or want internet access or TV. Do you want to dive more than a couple of times a day or do shore dives? There are many places in Roatan that can fill what you want when you make a decision on what it is you want and need.

Reactions: Doc
Also, do you want to do your diving through a dive centre or do a liveaboard? There is the Utila Agressor which offers some fantastic diving. Roatan is a bit more expensive and more "resorty" than Utila. I thought the diving was a tad better, especially because Roatan's shores are protected by the Marine Park.

But if you decide to go to Utila, just let me know. I lived and worked there for a while and can point out where to go...depending on what you want to do.

All depends how independent or looked after you want to be...
Read up on the islands of Utila, Guanaja and Roatan and make a decision on which one you'd like to visit. It is comfortably possible to visit Roatan & Utila in 7 days but travel between the two will cost you best part of a day unless you charter a flight.

Then decide how adventurous you feel - do want everything taken care of for you? Go with an AI resort. Do you want to discover things for yourself? Then start with places like Utila Official Site - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras - Tropical Island Paradise and similar sites where you'll find contact emails and phone numbers for hotels, apartments, etc.

Get in touch with some of the dive centers and see who will be willing to help with accommodation and travel advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom