The right way to get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a great way for a new diver to determine the quality of their initial class ... how comfortable do you feel planning and conducting an unsupervised dive in conditions similar to which you were trained after the class is completed? If the answer is "not very", then the instructor failed to meet the objectives of the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

I had no problem with either the title of the thread or the premise of Matt's initial post. Taken in the context of his experiences, it's a perfectly valid viewpoint. I don't necessarily agree with it, however. I think it really depends on the individual's goals and the approach of the instructor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Indeed - perhaps I posted that in haste. I think I just objected a little - in my head - to the original post implication (perhaps imagined by me and me alone) of being a sort of blanket-statement. "I did it this way and I think it is the right way for everyone". Of course a little more thought and I reach the same conclusion as you.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Time for intermission, folks....
And during this break, let me remind you that the topic of this thread is preferences in training locales. Posts discussing the prerogative of the OP to offer an opinion are considered off topic and have been removed. Please focus on the topic at hand as you turn your attention back to the thread.

Comments concerning the moderation of this thread have been split off to a new thread in the Feedback forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/feedback/415837-topic-split-thread-right-way-get-certified.html

So does this thread exist, or is it suffering some odd moderation as well?

I didn't learn to dive to be given a feel good fun course. My buddy who got me interested in diving was an ex-navy dive instructor who refused to train me because he was afraid it might ruin our friendship. He placed me with one of his co-instructors who drilled the book and made sure I had the skills required to dive safely. I don't remember how many times I did the mask removal and replacement and the out of air buddy breathing exercises, but it was a LOT!! Bouyancy control was practiced and practiced. I had some issues with it and he had me come before class to practice in the pool. When the time came that HE thought I was ready for the rescue class, he told me flat out that he was going to make my life miserable and he did!! Did I like it at the time?? NO, but it made me a lot better diver! I told him I wanted to take the DM class after I had about 100 dives. He made me go diving with him on a 110' dive while he watched to see if he thought I had the skills first. I took the DM class and was one endurance swim from completing an he asked me did I really want to be a DM? When I asked why, he asked if I planned to work in the dive industry. I said no, that I really wanted the experience and knowledge that came with the course. He helped convince me to stop at that point as I had accomplished what I wanted. I didn't need the title of DM to know I am a well trained diver. It scares me to see some of the "certified" divers I have encountered at numerous dive destinations!

Last edited by a moderator:

A number of posts from this thread have been pulled for review. This thread has again derailed onto an off-topic discussion of personalities rather than the topic stated in the opening post. Please keep your replies focused on the topic at hand.

Some posts pulled for review earlier have been reinstated with edits to remove references to deleted material.

Last edited:
and here I'm all jazzed up because I just signed up for a rescue class, and the instructor looked me square in the eye and said "I'm going to kick your a$$". Exactly what I was looking for.....
Looking forward to a post-training report...

:zen:

If you are going to dive in a coldwater environment with thick suits and thick gloves or mittens and a thick hood and 25 lbs of lead, taking a course in a warm, tropical "vacation" setting is not going to do much to prepare you for "back home".

You NEED the training in those thick restrictive suits and to be under supervision when all the air in the BC starts expanding from depth on a cold water dive. Reading the book or watching a video, just is not going to be sufficient, even if you are already "certified".

On the other hand, if your diving is always going to be in warm, tropical waters, getting certified in that environment should be no problem at all., in fact it might be better because they can teach you about the particulars of that environment .. say sea urchins, fire coral, currents, sting rays, scorpionfish etc.

If you are going to dive in a coldwater environment with thick suits and thick gloves or mittens and a thick hood and 25 lbs of lead, taking a course in a warm, tropical "vacation" setting is not going to do much to prepare you for "back home".

You NEED the training in those thick restrictive suits and to be under supervision when all the air in the BC starts expanding from depth on a cold water dive. Reading the book or watching a video, just is not going to be sufficient, even if you are already "certified".

On the other hand, if your diving is always going to be in warm, tropical waters, getting certified in that environment should be no problem at all., in fact it might be better because they can teach you about the particulars of that environment .. say sea urchins, fire coral, currents, sting rays, scorpionfish etc.

What he said. I was completely unprepared for how big a switch it would be from the warm Philippine waters to our cold Ontario waters with all of the neoprene and hood and weight.

In most any activity, the best training is to do the activity in conditions as close as possible to the conditions you are actually training for.

What he said. I was completely unprepared for how big a switch it would be from the warm Philippine waters to our cold Ontario waters with all of the neoprene and hood and weight.

In most any activity, the best training is to do the activity in conditions as close as possible to the conditions you are actually training for.

It's quite amazing the difference isn't it. Around here, they don't let you on a boat unless you have dived here recently. Reason being a couple of years ago a "warm water" diver with no cold water experience (and I believe only the training dives to his name) jumped off a boat and drowned. Over-weighted, inflator hose not connected, tank turned off etc

This must be one of those generalizations. When I bought a dry suit I just went diving, no previous dry suit experience, no instructors, no problems.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 06:10 PM ----------

It's quite amazing the difference isn't it. Around here, they don't let you on a boat unless you have dived here recently. Reason being a couple of years ago a "warm water" diver with no cold water experience (and I believe only the training dives to his name) jumped off a boat and drowned. Over-weighted, inflator hose not connected, tank turned off etc

So, if they don't let you on the boat unless you've dived there recently, how do you get on the boat if you've never dived there before?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom