Diver Drowns in Batangas, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Witness statements are taken.
2) Victims gear is preserved (not disassembled) and impounded for inspection.
3) Expert witness / independent subject matter expert may be used by authorities for scuba-related issues.
4) Gas analysed / Gear tested for function.
5) Coroner's report included.

DAN can provide education. The dive agencies can provide directions/stipulations, only in so far as they can dictate standards needed for a particular dive center to hold membership with that agency. No dive shop is forced to maintain agency membership - such decisions typically result from marketing/promotional benefits.

The only way to regulate safety standards in diving, is for a government to formulate specific legislation governing an activity. That's not hard, because international and industry standards have existed for quite some time and could easily be adopted as a national policy.

As with all things, legislation is worthless unless effectively monitored and enforced without bias or corruption.

I read with interest this morning, that the PCSSD (Philippines Commission on Sports Scuba Diving) is seeking a more active enforcement role, under the auspices of potential new legislation/ordinance governing recreational scuba diving activities in the Philippines:

Safety gear, trained scuba divers mulled in sports measure | Inquirer News

Sadly, the article is so incoherently written, that it's hard to decipher exactly what issues the ordinance identify and hope to cover.

However, what is clear is that enforcement would be a 'local administrative concern' for penalties (and thus monitoring) - which means, in essence, that non-divers/non-subject matter experts, within the local authorities, would be expected to actively identify concerns and levy 'administrative fines' to offenders. We all know how well that'd work, don't we?

Andy: My point is that we train divers to routinely analyze for O2 in Nitrox breathing gas. No one would think of diving Nitrox or a deco gas without analyzing. So why don't we do the same for CO. This should be part of the basic open water course and reinforced in advanced. To my knowledge, it's hardly if ever mentioned. Also divers should be quick to ask their diveop/air supplier if they are monitoring for CO CONTINUOUSLY on the discharge of their compressors. Quarterly reports on samples just after a filter change do not hack it. I'll be in Anilio in early May (Blue Crystal) and will be asking them. Plus I'll be reporting the answers on SB.

Bottom line is that the entire dive community has got to get involved to address this issue. And most divers are painfully unaware of this risk.

Andy: My point is that we train divers to routinely analyze for O2 in Nitrox breathing gas. No one would think of diving Nitrox or a deco gas without analyzing. So why don't we do the same for CO.

Firstly, because a responsible dive operator should be regularly checking the quality of its air.

If a diver has cause to doubt the professionalism of a given dive operation, then it'd be prudent for them to conduct a personal/independent check... or perhaps, even more prudent not to dive with that operation in the first place...

This should be part of the basic open water course and reinforced in advanced. To my knowledge, it's hardly if ever mentioned.

On a scale of risks affecting divers, it's pretty low down. In an ideal world, entry-level training would address every conceivable risk facing a diver. Sadly, that's just not practicable without significant extension in the duration and cost of training.

Thus, the most common risks are addressed. My personal belief is that it would be more favorable to increase training quality in respect of those common risks, rather than further dilute training to encompass more issues.

Bottom line is that the entire dive community has got to get involved to address this issue. And most divers are painfully unaware of this risk.

In 20 years/5000+ dives, I've never had a bad fill or air contamination issue... and I've never checked for CO. I've always been very particular about who I trust to support my dive logistics - and having made a decision, I am prepared to issue my trust. Trust being earned always. To date, that trust has never been betrayed.

In 20 years/5000+ dives, I've never had a bad fill or air contamination issue... and I've never checked for CO. I've always been very particular about who I trust to support my dive logistics - and having made a decision, I am prepared to issue my trust. Trust being earned always. To date, that trust has never been betrayed.

To quote Ronald Regan, "Trust, but verify".

Went diving in Anilao today. Tried to get more information about what happened, but nobody really knows anything more than what's already been posted here. Although, my DM did say that Koala is a site where two currents meet at certain points in the day (this is near the rock by the sea fan we usually check for the pygmy seahorse) which can lead to a downdraft. So, one possibility is that the victim got caught in it without the knowledge of her bf and the other companions. I hear they were diving with a DM who was giving an intro dive.

No matter what the circumstances were, though, I'm more concerned with the lack of information that's out there right now. Comparing this with the accident of the pair in Twin Rocks months ago, I don't understand why we still don't know more after a full week has already passed since the tragedy. I find the lack of information more difficult to understand coz this situation has survivors who can actually talk about it - the bf, the DM, the boatmen, etc.

I'm probing, of course, because I'd like to know what really happened and know what I should do if something similar ever happens to me.

Exactly. Verify the operator - their procedures and practices.... then you don't need to verify every individual tank.

Andy: Would you say the same about nitrox verification? I sure would not.

Besides as a traveling diver, it's difficult to objectively verify the dive op before you book. Generally we use the op at the resort. We don't have the option of changing dive ops once we arrive except under extreme circumstances.

In the past year, I've used six different dive ops as I've traveled. Only one (in Bonaire) routinely tested for CO. And I'd bet that is better than the average.

I'll continue to test every tank for both O2 and CO. It only takes a minute tops.

Dive safe.

Andy: Would you say the same about nitrox verification? I sure would not. .

Would you say the same about Neon gas build-up?

It's a matter of statistical likelihood of risk.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't analyise for CO if they want to. Merely that I don't see a need for it. My opinion, my approach... it's worked fine for 20 years.

Nitrox is different - each tank is blended.. cylinders are labelled... the procedures are more prone to human error. Contaminated gas is an entirely different proposition.

Anyway.... there's absolutely no evidence to suggest this (the thread incident) was CO related. Given the standard of diving/certification around - a simple problem, unresolved, escalating into panic... is far more likely.

Interesting post, I am currently on my way back from Puerto Galera, I almost booked to dive at the Acacia resort for the first two days of my trip to the Philippines but changed my itinerary to fit in with friends arriving from Singapore.

Can't say I have ever analyzed gas for CO, and don't own a CO analyzer, however it will certainly make me reconsider who I use for my next trip to the Philippines if I am going to dive Anilao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom