What speargun is right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MjM1994

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I am a new diver, and I want to start spear fishing with my buddies. We will be doing mostly big game tuna and shark fishing of the coast of Rhode island and New Jersey in open waters. So what kind of speargun should I look into and what size?
Any input would be a real help. Thank You.

I am a new diver, and I want to start spear fishing with my buddies. We will be doing mostly big game tuna and shark fishing of the coast of Rhode island and New Jersey in open waters. So what kind of speargun should I look into and what size?

2 Things......Big game tuna and Shark are probably NOT the best species to start spearfishing for as a new diver.....

That being said - I am a big fan of MAKO spearguns.

I second Mako!

Is this post for real??
Are you actually saying you plan on trying to shoot (and land) bluefin tuna and Mako Sharks?
Cause if you are I would strongly urge that you do not. Those are considered BIG Game and you will need extremely robust equipment, floats, terminal tackle etc. You will also need very good shot placement to even have a prayer of landing unless you just plan on shooting something that you have laready fought to exhaustion on hook-n-line. I also seem to recall there may be some legal limitations regarding those species as they are considered HMS and may be limited to hook and line gear only.
As I have posted before, you may wish to pose this question on one of the designated spearfishing sites where a ton more experienced spearfisherman are.

I would recommend going along with your buddies and see what they use and how they go about it. Or, try to get on a charter that goes out and does it.
You'll invest over $1000 (or up to $2000) in a good bluewater gun, floats, floatlines, slip tips and thick shafts for fish of that size and strength.
I would guess that the fuel for one of those trips will be in the $000s of dollars.
You're a new diver but to shoot those fish, I would guess it's free diving.
You could start by checking Wongs and Riffes. There are other customs guns that cost even more.

Bluewater - WongGuns.com

Spearguns - Mid-Handle Series

Here are some regs to consider.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/

Office of Sustainable Fisheries

Read the below article but scroll down to Federal Regs

Mako shark update - Fishing laws broken or reporting gone awry?

You have to check the Regs to see what GEAR is allowed to take any of these fish you mention,you might be suprised at what you can and can't use.Also there are size limits and seasons specified by the Regs.

Also I have seen a Mako shark turn and attack a boat after being hooked.

Good Luck.

I'm looking forward to this trip report! I'm guessing it will make the 5 o'clock news..

Back
Top Bottom