Thinking of joining local SAR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just completed DR1. If there was any doubt before this class, it was erased: This is not even close to recreational diving. Although it was a long 3 day course, it was great and very rewarding. A lot of things now make sense. Before this class I was getting very good detailed information from my team, but this class helped me to see the big picture. It also felt great to do a mock rescue/recovery on the final day from start (interviewing witnesses, planning the dive and search pattern) to finish (recovery) and put to test all of the things we learned in class. I am also starting to feel a little more comfortable with ZERO viz. (you guys weren't kidding). I still have a lot to learn, but I feel like I am better able to contribute to the team now. One of the great things about the class was working with other local FD and Police dive team members to form one unified team. Although PSD is "solo" diving (no buddy), there is such tremendous support from your team members. This is truly a team approach that I never experienced with any of my prior diving experiences.

I myself have had interest in SAR diving, however it will require much more self-reflection before I make a decision. Will keep trolling for now! Thanks for posting your experiences guys, excellent community resource for an American living abroad.

I got word yesterday that a neighboring team is doing away with its volunteer team and going in-house. They have been forming the in-house team for a couple of years but still kept the volunteer team. But it seems that the Sheriff is tired of members not showing up for activities weather it be training or actual recovery calls. Another issue was flashing their Special Deputy cards around town, not a good thing to be doing.

I was told they did an audit of who showed for the calls. Same three over and over again but one wouldn’t dive deep or in current which they have a lot of both. So they have set some strict tough mental and physical guidelines to get on the team which have washed out almost everyone.

Like us they will have a volunteer tenders but not divers. They are slowly growing the in-house team but will keep it small and manageable. Now they have gone from a “Recovery” team to a “Rescue” team as they are not only trained but have take home vehicles and are on pagers.

One poor guy on this thread isn’t going to be happy about this news.

Even though we have take home vehicles and can respond at the drop of a hat, driving, especially anytime we are driving code we need to remember this: “We drive manned rockets. No matter what the vehicle code says we’re not exempt from the laws of physics”. Drive carefully.

What county is this Gary? I am curious because I trained with a few guys from Cascade, great guys, and good divers.

Very interesting about the local teams. I can understand why they will go in-house, given the varying commitment levels of an all-volunteer team. Having grown up on the Spokane River directly below the waterfall, I saw several bodies go by in the water. That water is fast and cold, it would definitely take a skilled and devoted dive team to manage a rescue/recovery operation there.

Very interesting about the local teams. I can understand why they will go in-house, given the varying commitment levels of an all-volunteer team. Having grown up on the Spokane River directly below the waterfall, I saw several bodies go by in the water. That water is fast and cold, it would definitely take a skilled and devoted dive team to manage a rescue/recovery operation there.

I knew you would understsnd but it makes your chances of getting on that team a lot harder.

It's been awhile since I posted on this thread. It's been almost two years since I first joined the team, and I am still going strong and loving it. In my limited experience dealing with professional and volunteer teams, I have begun to understand that not all teams are created equal (members, money, training, calls, etc). Training is a big factor as well as opportunities to apply the training. I am fortunate that I am on a team of experienced divers, EMTs, rescue workers, etc., that love to train, provide good and safe equipment, and that I feel extremely safe diving with. The only negative is that I have done less recreational diving since joining the team. Thanks for having me.

It is great that your training on the team is going well. As you move forward, don't forget that the KEEP IT SIMPLE & SAFE theory is valid and remember the final message from your DR-1 class ... RISK/BENEFIT.

I was glad to read your November 15, 2010 post and see that your Dive Rescue International training was rewarding. If there is anything we can do for you or your teammates, please know we are only a phone call or e-mail away.

Wishing you and your team warm, clear waters and safe diving. (If you fall short of the "warm and clear" then double up on "safe")

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

Blades:

Are you doing FDIC this year? At this time, I'm planning on trying to make it back again! Let me know, maybe we can at least meet up for a drink!

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom