2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are not dealing with any orthopedic issues, your fitness baseline will benefit a lot more from completing the 3K run in less time rather than increasing the distance. You can increase distance after you shave off a few minutes of your 3k run. Have fun!

Thanks Coach!

Made the transition from the eliptical to real running a little while back and so far my ankle has been doing ok. A little stiff sometimes but the good news is that it doesn't seem to be deteriorating.

A 3km in 18 minutes isn't impressing anyone. Might try to pick up the pace in intervals during run and see what it does to the time.

At present I do find myself breathing heavier than normal at this pace, but often have energy to spare at the end of the run.

Need pics!!!

Well it has been a couple of weeks since my last report. Since then I've had an unexpected vacation from work, and am hoping that that ends next week. In the mean time I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. I've used the extra time to increase the amount of exercise I'm doing. So I've been doing a combination of swimming and walking 2-3 times a day.

This week I lost 5.2lbs! Down 10 lbs for the month and my weight is now at 316.2lbs down 30lbs since January 15. What really surprised me was Sunday morning as on Saturday I went over to a friend's house and pig out. Ate a ton of crawfish, chicken drumsticks, some potatoes and corn. Then when I got home late at night pig out some more. Decided to step on the scale Sunday morning to see the damage, and low and behold I still dropped a little bit.

Also since my last report, I went and saw a clinical pharmacist. He was impressed with my results and said I was unusual in the since htat I had everything under controll compared to his other patients. He made a minor tweak on my medications and said he doesn't need to see me again. I also had great improvement on my A1c(3 month blood glucose average). I went from a 9.8 to a 6.1 in 2 months. Now mind you that is still including a month of terrible levels. So I'm hoping my next reading next month is even better.

Thanks Coach!

A 3km in 18 minutes isn't impressing anyone. Might try to pick up the pace in intervals during run and see what it does to the time.

I would try to bring that down to about 14 minutes before increasing distance. You are going to love what a difference it will make in your training. Provided that your ankle holds steady, it should be a good goal.

Hello everyone... I know I don't report here often enough but I think about this place.

Well I've been doing ok, not as intense as I should but the other day in the office I realize I have come a long way. My office is in a 3 story bldg, very few people usethe stairs but The summer of 2010 I decided that no matter what, I will not use the elevator ever again. Back then it would take a few minutes to gain my breath back after going to the 3rd floor, well time has gone by, and I may be older but so much stronger. Ha! I realized yesterday that I was going up 3 steps at a time, I was in a hurry and so I did what felt natural... Later on it dawned on me... I was in my 30's the last time I did that and now I do it without even thinking about it.

This is huge for me... I still have a long way ahead but sure feels good to see the progress manifested in practical things. I'm thinking so much now about making a new goal of climbing up the boat without using the ladder! Just like I used to .... when my husband and I designed the boat ladder, we considered a diver in distress or injured. My frame of mind today is different I want to have enough strength that even if I'm injured I can get on board any boat, not just mine with the perfect ladder.

Alcina.... I see things are not going exactly your way. Do not give up. Whatever is your present situation did not happen overnight, it will not change overnight either. What you put in your body and what you do with it DOES make a difference for good or bad. You say you've been eating all the right things.... Maybe you need to re-examine what is right. In another life when I had hi cholesterol and all kinds of issues I never ate an egg, and limited red meats, and ate lots of oatmeal and whatever was "right" to lower my cholesterol... Until I discovered Paleo eating... I don't call it Paleo diet because it is my way of eating for about 3 years already. That may not be for you... But don't think for a minute that there's no direct cause-effect between intake-exercise and weight-general state.

I don't call it Paleo diet because it is my way of eating for about 3 years already.

Awesome! Even though I use the "Paleo" label for quick reference and facilitation, I really dislike it. The worst part is the term "Paleo" is starting to get exploited with oxymoronic concoctions purchased without investigating the ingredients because they're labeled "Paleo." If more people understood the lifestyle is about the source of food and redistribution of macronutrients, they would see how things like "Paleo Cookies" "Paleo Bread" "Paleo Pancakes" or even "Paleo Pasta" are self-contradictory. :shakehead:

Reactions: Ana
Wow, some awesome successes here - yay, You Guys!!! Keep it up :)

I did get out on the shark boat yesterday and had a good time. Hard not to, really! We swam with three different whale sharks and had two great long snorkels on the reef. Saw dolphins, dugongs, turtles and all manner of creatures. Lots of food and jellies in the water so I'm glad I didn't bother taking my Big Girl Cameras and just stuck with my tiny Panasonic TS3 - conditions were crap for photography, but at least I have a few happy snappies to relive the day :)
MAR12_184kja.jpg

Only four more days of my first set of goals. We'll see how I go - I know I've got one of four taken care of LOL Kind of looking forward to setting the next short term goals, though I'm having to think hard as I want to set some that are meaningul and a bit of a challenge, but realistic. Too easy to set goals that won't take any effort!

Awesome! Even though I use the "Paleo" label for quick reference and facilitation, I really dislike it. The worst part is the term "Paleo" is starting to get exploited with oxymoronic concoctions purchased without investigating the ingredients because they're labeled "Paleo." If more people understood the lifestyle is about the source of food and redistribution of macronutrients, they would see how things like "Paleo Cookies" "Paleo Bread" "Paleo Pancakes" or even "Paleo Pasta" are self-contradictory. :shakehead:

Oh I totally agree. Both Paleo and Crossfit have gone through some weird transformations... I guess it would be naive to be surprised by it.

I brought it up just to make a point that sometimes what we believe is the right food, turns out not be so right. I was shocked with the experiment I run on myself with the cholesterol.

On your point the exploitation of this amazing concept is shameful, I imagine it will soon kill itself, because I doubt all that processing and addition of weird ingredients can produce positive results. I'm grateful I heard about it before it went wacko. A coworker found out about my eating habits and was proud to show me a special recipe that was super low carbs, I browsed over the hard copy and couldn't believe it, not only it had over 10 ingredients which is already a deal braker for me but it looks more like a chemical formula than a recipe. Im sure it was low carb, but I don't think there was food in there.

My definition of a Paleo meal is a portion of flesh with or without eggs in a plate, can be cooked or not, or somewhere in between. A handful of berries for dessert and almonds/walnuts for snacks. I do drink coffee and great amounts of water. Once in a blue moon vodka on ice, and a bit of dark chocolate about 4 times a weeks.
Felt weird the first few months but I never liked complicated dishes to begin with.... Spices are lost on me, the new cuisine of mixing jalapeños with ice cream and is not my thing. My pleasures don't come from a plate, used to be that a vacation to a new place would be centered of restaurants, now food is fuel, and I want the clean high octane.

Doing pretty well here. Getting out for long romps on the beach and yesterday we hit the water for almost an hour. Back is feeling better than it has in a while and that's a great thing! My ankle & knee are still giving me the whoops though - yesterday we swam so much because I really couldn't walk. Think I'm heading out for a dive this morning and looking forward to just floating for a while :)
MAR12_186kja.jpg

Reactions: Ana
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom