Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've filpped approximately 11,000 urchins to date, have found two bumblebee shrimp, and have zero photos to show for it. I've also *re*-flipped all of them to date, but have seen them going by like tumbleweeds during strong currents.

Lots of great shots. Looks like fun. :D

Kevin

Kevin, don't forget to look for Squat Urchin Shrimp while you are at it.

Another 2+ hours today. Vis was great - although I have limited exposure to the bridge, it was definitely the best vis I've seen there. Sheriff was issuing a ticket to a diver that strayed too far from his anchored dive flag as we exited :no:. Wonder how many tickets he has issued to boaters that violated a dive flag zone... Guess I'll be sure to drag mine where ever I go from here out.

Had fun with a bumble bee shrimp. Saw another diver/photog flipping urchins and that reminded me of photos and discussion I've seen here. Found one on about the first urchin I flipped, but had to stick around with him quite a while to get the right angles. Dodgy little buggers.

Be there again tomorrow...

Nice work on the Bumble Bee Shrimp. They are beautiful, but can be a pain in the @$$.

Kevin, don't forget to look for Squat Urchin Shrimp while you are at it.

As much as I would *love* to find one, my vision is such that it will likely never happen. I've also mostly given up on the nudi's, too. :-(

Kevin

Stumbled upon this awesome forum a few days ago...I will be in Jupiter April 2nd-April 7th. I have been to blue heron bridge a few years back for a quick snorkel trip around the sailboat before I became certified. Can anybody recommend snorkel locations for your area (Peanut Island, Coral Cove Park, Blue Heron Bridge ?) I will have my sisters with me that are not certified to dive. But, I would like to do a dive at Blue Heron bridge but due to baggage costs I am packing light; just my fins, mask, snorkel and 3mm suit. Any recommendations on local dive shops to rent equipment for the day? Thanks for the help, btw I read through about 30 pages of this thread....very impressive pictures!

Young Trumpet

Juvenile Trumpetfish - a set on Flickr

Alright, you got me off my ass and I uploaded a bunch of the pics to my Flickr site above. Dr. Kovacs had to tell me after the dive that it was a juvie trumpetfish, rather than another pipefish, considering that you had shown me one in a similar area the day before. They *do* both have the same little fan-shaped tails. Seems I had *exactly* the wrong kinds of rigs set up on both cameras for such an opportunity. Heck, I didn't even realize that you weren't able to focus on it. Glad the super spotter was able to get some good shots. :D

Kevin

IMG_5177wa.jpgIMG_9445wa.jpg

Some pics from a couple weeks ago.
While touring Sunday with Kevin and my super spotter I noticed a Juvenile trumpetfish had adopted my housing arms.
He was very small and would hover under anything you moved near him.
I pushed him off first on Kelly and then Kevin to get some distance for video but he kept coming back and stayed under by me for the whole dive.
Another first at the bridge! I have never been adopted in this fashion.
Plus a new strategy: stay too close to photograph/video!
John
last picture:
He doesn't really blend with my color board but that didn't stop him trying!

As much as I would *love* to find one, my vision is such that it will likely never happen. I've also mostly given up on the nudi's, too. :-(

Kevin

Sounds like you need a seeing eye dog :anonymous2:
Even with diopters in my mask I can't keep up with my "spotter" for finding the tiny stuff.
The quest for those squatties on urchins continues....

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Kev-
I did get some video and may even edit it someday.
Great pictures for having the wrong lens!!!
I don't remember signing a release to post photos of my adoptee!:D

Sounds like you need a seeing eye dog :anonymous2:
Even with diopters in my mask I can't keep up with my "spotter" for finding the tiny stuff.
The quest for those squatties on urchins continues....

Truth be told, it may be as much a "patience" issue. I've spent a *lot* of time down there looking for tiny stuff, and the vast majority of that time - spent with my mask inches from the "subject" area - has been all but wasted. A lot of those broken pieces of shell look very similar to each other. :D

Kevin

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Some good video woulda been the two of us tumbling over each other, drifting in the current and stirring up the silt. :D I don't need no stinkin releases. . .

Kevin

Kev-
I did get some video and may even edit it someday.
Great pictures for having the wrong lens!!!
I don't remember signing a release to post photos of my adoptee!:D

Force-E Dive Center

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sat 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sun 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
155 E. Blue Heron Blvd
Riviera Beach, FL 33404 Phone, local: (561) 845-2333
Phone, toll free: 1--866-845-2333

Stumbled upon this awesome forum a few days ago...I will be in Jupiter April 2nd-April 7th. I have been to blue heron bridge a few years back for a quick snorkel trip around the sailboat before I became certified. Can anybody recommend snorkel locations for your area (Peanut Island, Coral Cove Park, Blue Heron Bridge ?) I will have my sisters with me that are not certified to dive. But, I would like to do a dive at Blue Heron bridge but due to baggage costs I am packing light; just my fins, mask, snorkel and 3mm suit. Any recommendations on local dive shops to rent equipment for the day? Thanks for the help, btw I read through about 30 pages of this thread....very impressive pictures!

Dubois park on the jupiter and peanut island both have man made snorkel lagoons now. Coral cove park up near the martin county line as well as blowing rocks in Martin can have decent snorkeling. Also ocean reef park on singer island can have good snorkeling. My daughter and her girl friends snorkel at coral cove and ocean reef. They've seen morays, nurse shark, manta rays and a variety of colorful reef fishes. (I've seen the pics :))

I've filpped approximately 11,000 urchins to date, have found two bumblebee shrimp, and have zero photos to show for it. I've also *re*-flipped all of them to date, but have seen them going by like tumbleweeds during strong currents.

Kevin: Thought about you as I flipped a few dozen on today's dive (I too, flip them back). Found only one, but it was not cooperative at all - didn't even attempt a shot. Got lucky yesterday, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom