Sea springs resort destroying secret bay divesite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwhkg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
64326_10150586837886976_610136975_9574850_365258080_n.jpg

Anilao dive sight being ruined by Sea Springs Resort

Last edited:
Are you freaking kidding me ??!!?? :thumbdown: They must be trying to make a cement enclosure around the hot springs.

Looks like Secret Bay needs a Filipino Monkey Wrench Gang!!!

Looks like Secret Bay needs a Filipino Monkey Wrench Gang!!!

They need a some lawyers who are also divers to find out if they have a foreshore lease.

PRESIDENTIAL DECREE No. 1067 December 31, 1976

A DECREE INSTITUTING A WATER CODE, THEREBY REVISING AND CONSOLIDATING THE LAWS GOVERNING THE OWNERSHIP, APPROPRIATION, UTILIZATION, EXPLOITATION, DEVELOPMENT, CONSERVATION AND PROTECTION OF WATER RESOURCES

Unless they have a foreshore lease, the owners of the resort cannot build with in 20 meters of the high tide mark.

I stayed at Sea Springs a little over a year ago just for having Secret Bay as its house reef. On my one and only prior visit to Anilao, before Sea Springs opened, I was absolutely amazed at what we found at Secret Bay, and any opportunity I could get for the rest of the stay I tried to get back over there. It was amazing on this second visit how little we saw there, and I couldn't believe it was the same site I loved and dove so much before. At the time I thought it might have been just diving at a slightly different time of year, but from everything I've read afterwards I'm not surprised the resort is at least partially responsible.

Sea's Spring have issued a public response, via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/dive.ph/posts/182514801864072

drP8vlvSl_8.gif
Dive Philippines[h=6]Greetings!

This is a formal reply to the issue posted last Wednesday, March 7, 2012 by Mr. Jun V. Lao and Dive Philippines containing pictures and videos about the resort’s dumping debris to the Secret Bay. We might say that the video was made quite impressing showing the site under construction and marine life crying out for help. Anyone who care about life will never waste any time sharing the issue for proper action.

As a diver and photographer, it is with no doubt that Mr. Lao cares a lot for the environment especially the marine life in Secret Bay which stated in the video containing very rare and world famous species providing happiness and joy to divers weekly.

Seas Spring Resort is aware of the beauty of the dive site in front of it. Secret Bay is along the Verde Island Passages which was declared as the "Center of the Center of Marine Shorefish Biodiversity". There are more than 300 species of corals which is considered one of the largest concentrations of corals in the country or even in the whole world and many threatened species are present.

There are many more excruciating comments and post against us. Government agencies and officials have been alarmed to do immediate actions. These agencies have already reached us as well as the media to confront and inform us how severe the incident spread.

Deep in our heart, we are really sorry for what happened. But for this moment, please let us express our side: The equipment seen on the video was not dumping debris on the sea. It was seawater which went into the proposed pump house due to high tide. In the video, it was around 6-7 am of March 7, 2012 when counted 25 times of dumping and around 1pm, cannot dive 7 meters whole shoreline because of the choco brown color of the sea. The specific area showed always looks like that during high tide because it is within the creek that floods tons and tons of muds flowing down from the mountain during rainy season. It is in fact one of the main reason why the said area has a slope of thick mud in a depth of around 20 meters below. As observed on some parts around the area, during high tide and wavy seasons, big waves reach the higher side of the shore which will give the sea brownish color.

In the video, it was also concluded that the old public hot spring was made private by the resort and the construction as the “Making of New Hot Spring Tub”. We might say that it was an allegation and unconfirmed information. Nobody from the resort has been asked of whatever the said construction is all about. The old hot spring, being the landmark of this Brgy. Mainit will never become a private property as declared in the Barangay Resolution approved by the Municipal government. And that the debris mentioned in the post was actually just seawater brought back to the sea. The construction is a 20 square meter proposed relocation of the pump house and not making of new hot spring tub. The construction was temporarily stopped as ordered by the Municipal government of Mabini, Batangas.

Seas Spring Resort will not invest any amount just to neglect and harm the sea where it derives its own name. Seas Spring Resort’s highlights are the natural hot springs which can be found along the shoreline and the sea in front of it.

Seas Spring Resort started some six years ago, with four years of construction and two years of operation. The resort has a total of thirty seven (37) employees and some ten (10) people doing the said construction.
The owner’s interest on Natural Hot Spring as one of the most effective medication is their main perspective of improving this place as well as providing employment and livelihood to the people in this area. Seas Spring Resort will not ruin this vision by doing an action against the true essence of its existence.

Seas Spring Resort is inviting everyone, local or foreign divers or non – divers to come to us to see it by yourself. That, we are not as horrible as what other think we are.

Once again, if this incident caused trouble, Seas Spring Resort is very much apologetic and we will try to solve the problem to protect the interest of each and everyone of us for our better future.

Seas Spring Resort is open for any discussion regarding the matter.

Thank you very much..

Seas Spring Resort Management

--
Should you have any concerns, you may reach us through the details below:

Sea's Spring Resort
Brgy. Mainit, Mabini, Batangas
Tel. No. : 02-881-1766
Mobile : 0917-564-8085 / 0917-564-8087 (Korean)
www.seasspringresort.com
email : shinyang.seasspring.inc@gmail.com
Company name : SHIN YANG SEAS SPRING INC.
TIN : 290-027-676-000
SEC Reg. No. : CS200514920
Manila Office : 206 Ermita Ctr. Building, 1350 Roxas Blvd. Ermita Manila
Tel No. : 02-526-4846 to 47 Fax No. 02-526-4849[/h]
Sea's Spring Resort Hotel

seasspringresort.com

[h=6]GMA7 will be doing story on destruction of dive sites in anilao, particularly the recent issue at secret bay. Pls pm me suggestions for people they can interview and their contact info. maybe an underwater photog, the mayor, mabini tourism etc. Someone to guide them around and play host would be even better. They will be going on thursday so they need the contact info today. Thanks.

P.s. i am not connected with GMA.[/h]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom