Morehead City 31 MAR/ 1 APR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa_L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I recently found out I'll be traveling to NC the week of 2 April...so I figured, why not head down the weekend prior for some diving?

From what I've read, it sounds like the visibility isn't as good in the winter, and of course it will be cooler (hoping I'd be OK in a rented 7mm with hood and gloves?), but it sounds like it's worth a shot. I'll give the dive shops down there a call to see how likely the charters are to run that weekend, fingers crossed - my next dive will be my number 50! :)

Anyone dive here lately? Or past March/Aprils? Any advice (or dive buddy offers!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Last dive I did in Morehead was at the end of January. We had 66F temp with about 30ft of vis (U-352 and Spar). I dove in a thick wet suit and that was fine - just a bit cool getting out of it. Lots of life on the wrecks. Check out Olympus Dive Center in Morehead, they are one of the few operators running through the Winter/Spring. Also check out the local NOAA buoy for marine conditions: NDBC - Station 41036
If you haven't been to NC diving before check out some of the advice on threads and posts here.
Have fun!!

Melissa,

I'll second the recommendation for Olympus. Great dive operator and at this time of the year you'll have water temps in the low 60's and 30-40ft vis. Check their web site and Facebook pages, they regularly post dive reports.

My recently-documented rundown of the dive ops with whom I would dive is discussed in another thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...-area-summer-where-live-dive.html#post6264553 Not sure whether the six-packs are running open seating that weekend but these are some alternatives for you to look into if you are so inclined.

I personally would be diving dry that time of year but you should be more than ok if you have a 7MM. If you have never dove that thick of a wetsuit before, I'd do a search or two to get some tips and tricks... it's easy enough to do but there are some nuances of which to be aware.

NC is amazing - I hope you can get out!

Hello All,

I recently found out I'll be traveling to NC the week of 2 April...so I figured, why not head down the weekend prior for some diving?

From what I've read, it sounds like the visibility isn't as good in the winter, and of course it will be cooler (hoping I'd be OK in a rented 7mm with hood and gloves?), but it sounds like it's worth a shot. I'll give the dive shops down there a call to see how likely the charters are to run that weekend, fingers crossed - my next dive will be my number 50! :)

Anyone dive here lately? Or past March/Aprils? Any advice (or dive buddy offers!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Thanks for the advice guys! I can take 60s and 30 ft vis. I'm definitely going to give in a shot - I'll let you know how it goes.

Olympus has open charters that weekend. I am sure Discovery will be running as well.

According to Captain Tony Elliott of the Thomas S (Olympus' 6 pack) inshore temps have been low 60's (and getting warmer every day) and the viz has been great. 40'+. No one has been offshore in a while, but I am sure it is even warmer and better viz.

I will be offshore that weekend with Carolina Dive Center. I am pretty sure they are sold out, but look for the yellow boat with a turtle on the side.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Outrageous V from Discovery Diving is supposed to be running April 1 (no foolin!). They might have space available.

Hi Melissa!

We will be running this weekend and would love to have you join us! Though the water temperature is still a bit on the cool side, with the lack of cold air temperatures this winter, our water temperatures are warmer than they traditionally are in early spring! :D The information that the rest of the gang on here gave you is accurate and we are excited to get back out there!

Please give me a call if I can assist you further!

Hi Melissa!

We will be running this weekend and would love to have you join us! Though the water temperature is still a bit on the cool side, with the lack of cold air temperatures this winter, our water temperatures are warmer than they traditionally are in early spring! :D The information that the rest of the gang on here gave you is accurate and we are excited to get back out there!

Please give me a call if I can assist you further!

I was all set to go both days - but I came down with strep early in the week (ugh!) and figured I wouldn't be 100% by this weekend. I'll definitely come down later this season though, thanks!

PMed you my contact info. Give me a shout if you are heading down this way and I'll dive with you. Meanwhile, feel better.

Disclaimer: But not yet...I'm a www. But one who just got her first 5mm, so maybe I'll venture out next month. Nema, keep on posting those bottom temps :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom