Scuba Certification Rip Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish_bowl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know about an injustice that has occured.

Last year, in July, I finished my open water certification for scuba. I was so excited to get diving. But, as time went by, I did not see my certification card come in the mail. I called my dive instructor.. and he told me that "PADI" can be a little slow at getting these things back to you.

About a month ago.. now I finished in July of last year... I thought.. I am going to call PADI and see what the heck is up?? I talked to one of their customer representatives and he told me that neither me, my boyfriend, or two of my friends that all took the course at the same time, were even in their system. A little annoyed, i called and left a message with my dive instructor asking him if he forgot to send it in.. and if he could send it in soon because I would really like to dive this year..

He never called back, I e-mailed.. He never called or emailed back.. i tried about six more times to get a hold of him and nothing..

Now I was mad.. so I called PADI yet again.. they tried calling him and he said.. its in the mail.. its been a month since I called PADI.. and trust me its not PADI's fault.. they are trying as much as possible to get this all straightened out..

So i did some research.. there are approximately 22 people in Brockville that have not recieved their certifications....

I'm just really upset because I just want to dive.. and I didn't want this to turn into a big problem because, I thought my dive instructor was a good friend and now I have reconsidered this ..

I just wanted to let everyone know out there that I exist.. in case someone else from Brockville is waiting for their certification with me.. I'm really sad because I dont' think I am going to get to dive this summer. :(

The stupid thing is, me being new at diving, I didnt' know that he was suppose to sign my dive log.. and.. He did not give us a temporary card.. he told me he was out.. we tried on several occasions to get one.. but then the store closed.. :(

anyway I just wanted to let you all know of the injustice.. I hope everyone has a great summer diving..

Fish

Fish,
I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you. You hear about this happening every now and then. If it were me I would hunt him down and have charges brought up against him. I hope everything works out for you.

Thank You For The Support.. It Just Makes Me So Mad.. I Worked For This Guy In His Store.. For Free.. Because I Thought They Were Nice People.. I Have Even Told Him If It Is A Money Issue.. Because He Can't Afford The Certification Fee With Padi.. I Would Be Happy To Give It To Him.. And Even Padi Has Told Him To Just Give Him A List Of Everyone That Passed.. And He Won't Budge.. My One Friend Is Thinking Of Taking Him To Court In All Of Our Names.. Its Just Sad When You Put So Much Time Into Something.. And Then This Happens.. :(

fish_bowl:
Thank You For The Support.. It Just Makes Me So Mad.. I Worked For This Guy In His Store.. For Free.. Because I Thought They Were Nice People.. I Have Even Told Him If It Is A Money Issue.. Because He Can't Afford The Certification Fee With Padi.. I Would Be Happy To Give It To Him.. And Even Padi Has Told Him To Just Give Him A List Of Everyone That Passed.. And He Won't Budge.. My One Friend Is Thinking Of Taking Him To Court In All Of Our Names.. Its Just Sad When You Put So Much Time Into Something.. And Then This Happens.. :(
Is the guy a PADI instructor ? is he current with PADI ? if not then he has duped you court is the only place, send all the details to PADI they will also take action.

You certainly paid for a service which included certification and you did not receive 100% of what was promised. Sounds like time to talk to an attorney. Have you sent him a certified letter requesting that he fullfill your certification by sending in the required paperwork?

Danny
www.divingrebels.org

Makes you wonder what his motivation could be. Do you have his PADI number and first name on hand?

R..

I have called PADI.. and they are doing everything they can to get him to give us our certification.. its at the point where PADI will just take him saying that we passed over the phone. Which they don't normally do I was told. Its just so upsetting.. I think we will have to take him to court otherwise we will have to take the course over again.. which is not fair at all.. and what makes me really mad is there are so many of us.. 22 so far that I know.. that is a lot of people that are doing without..

He is not currently a PADI instructor now because he close his shop (Divers Paradise) in Brockville. This is what makes life a little harder. :(

fish_bowl:
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know about an injustice that has occured.

Last year, in July, I finished my open water certification for scuba. I was so excited to get diving. But, as time went by, I did not see my certification card come in the mail. I called my dive instructor.. and he told me that "PADI" can be a little slow at getting these things back to you.

About a month ago.. now I finished in July of last year... I thought.. I am going to call PADI and see what the heck is up?? I talked to one of their customer representatives and he told me that neither me, my boyfriend, or two of my friends that all took the course at the same time, were even in their system. A little annoyed, i called and left a message with my dive instructor asking him if he forgot to send it in.. and if he could send it in soon because I would really like to dive this year..

He never called back, I e-mailed.. He never called or emailed back.. i tried about six more times to get a hold of him and nothing..

Now I was mad.. so I called PADI yet again.. they tried calling him and he said.. its in the mail.. its been a month since I called PADI.. and trust me its not PADI's fault.. they are trying as much as possible to get this all straightened out..

So i did some research.. there are approximately 22 people in Brockville that have not recieved their certifications....

I'm just really upset because I just want to dive.. and I didn't want this to turn into a big problem because, I thought my dive instructor was a good friend and now I have reconsidered this ..

I just wanted to let everyone know out there that I exist.. in case someone else from Brockville is waiting for their certification with me.. I'm really sad because I dont' think I am going to get to dive this summer. :(

The stupid thing is, me being new at diving, I didnt' know that he was suppose to sign my dive log.. and.. He did not give us a temporary card.. he told me he was out.. we tried on several occasions to get one.. but then the store closed.. :(

anyway I just wanted to let you all know of the injustice.. I hope everyone has a great summer diving..

Fish
Alas this has happened before. I had an Instructor do that to twelve of my students at my store and I ened up redoing there certs. Ask PADI if they have a kind hearted dive instructor in the area who would do a special review and certify your folks alot of instructors would like to land 22 certifications maybe roll it into a advance course so he makes some money in the deal. Always get a temp card they come with the certification card. You need to sign the pic card as well. It can be set to PADI electronicly now so you could get your card in 3 - 4 weeks.
Hope this helps

That Is A Good Idea.. I Did Not Think Of That.. Maybe I Can Talk To Some Of My Friends And We Can All Get Together And Work Something Out.. I'm Not Sure If I'm Ready For An Advanced Course Yet Since I Have Only Done My Open Water Dives.. I Will Check Into It Though.

Oh My .. I Was Just Talking To A Friend At Work And She Had Trouble With These People Too.. She Did All Of Her In Class And Poll Sessions And Paid The Money To Do Her Open Water Dives, But They Would Never Return Her Calls To Do The Open Water Dives.. So She Thinks She Is Basically Screwed.. The Mystery Grows..

Anyone Else Out There Have Trouble With These People??

Back
Top Bottom