Diver Encounters Great White near Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove from the park there the afternoon before, out almost to the downslope. A bit chilling now to read this. Wouldn't want to encounter a stressed 16 ft shark. Soiunds like this one was more than a little motivated.

Great whites have indeed been positively identified in Hawaiian waters and do migrate across the Pacific to an area closer to Hawaii. Of course I can't say whether this specific shark was a white or not.

As for this being an attack on a "diver," I agree with Jax. Spearfishing often brings sharks in seeking an easy meal or just out of curiosity. I consider them an "occupational hazard." I prefer not to dive in areas where spearfishing is occurring. Nothing against the spearos or what they are doing... just being cautious.

You want evidence that Great Whites sometimes travel around Hawaii? Here ya' go!
Great White Shark Encounter in Hawaii

Was that the instance where the Captain got in trouble for leaving the boat with customers onboard?

Edit: Added more content.

[video=youtube;yqs1eJ81bqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqs1eJ81bqI[/video]

Last edited:
We'll be there in June. May I just say I would probably have a fatal MI at the sight of Mr. White? I've seen huge Tigers, Great Hammerheads and Bulls and been thrilled, but I want a cage for Mr White....

Peter- I feel the need to add a little back-story to your video. While renowned tiger shark expert Kim Holland announced publicly that the shark in your video was a white, many of his grad students and colleagues (including one white shark researcher) disagree and believe it is a mako. There is no doubt that whites come by Hawaii frequently, but your video seems to be up for debate.

Peter- I feel the need to add a little back-story to your video. While renowned tiger shark expert Kim Holland announced publicly that the shark in your video was a white, many of his grad students and colleagues (including one white shark researcher) disagree and believe it is a mako. There is no doubt that whites come by Hawaii frequently, but your video seems to be up for debate.
Maybe the second vid is a Mako, but did you look at the first link? Lots of pictures and videos since they were cage diving for sharks when this gal came along, which is clearly a Great White.
Display_White_Shark_1.jpg

Display_White_Shark_12.jpg

I remember when the big girl showed up at the shark cages off north shore. Now that is undeniably a white. Big tigers are intimidating enough, but that thing is a whole other ball game! They have also seen them from the HURL subs (I believe one even knocked a light off) and somebody got some less publicly celebrated shots of one off Kona.

There is another never published cell phone photo, taken by a Kauai resident, of a kayaker paddling along off the Na Pali coast on around a 15' SOT and the shark was bigger than the kayak. There are some big shark breeds out there, but it too could well have been a Great White.

Since the Great White is now protected along with other sharks in the waters between California and Hawaii we will probably sloooowly see a growth in their population, assuming food is plentiful.

I remember when the big girl showed up at the shark cages off north shore. Now that is undeniably a white. Big tigers are intimidating enough, but that thing is a whole other ball game! They have also seen them from the HURL subs (I believe one even knocked a light off) and somebody got some less publicly celebrated shots of one off Kona.

During Shark Week on the Discovery Channel, there was a show "Jaws of the Pacific" that deals with this event and Great White Shark in Hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom