Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Switched two years ago to Pro model when I changed booty size. Before that had original for 8 years. When fitted properly, you kick with your ankle. Love their bungee strap and ability to walk in them. Also take up less room in suitcase than my wife's reqular fins.

Fin kicking styles are demonstrated on Force Fins' web site.

dleiss:
... When fitted properly, you kick with your ankle. ...

Using what muscles? The only one able to flex one's ankles with any power is one's calf's muscle, but that's in the wrong direction for Force Fins.

donacheson:
Using what muscles? The only one able to flex one's ankles with any power is one's calf's muscle, but that's in the wrong direction for Force Fins.

WRT to the Force Fins, I think what s/he meant is that you do not use your toes or the front part of your feet to kick, but rather that the force is focused on the front of your ankle.

On the return stroke, the fin collapses, thus sparing your calf muscles.

On the power, or downward stroke, the quadriceps are powering the fin.

The argument behind it is that the ankle is not strong enough to take the force of the return stroke without flexing. Hence, the ankle flops about like a door hinge, wasting power and efficiency.

Hope that clarifies the description.

-BubbaFetta

BubbaFetta:
WRT to the Force Fins, I think what s/he meant is that you do not use your toes or the front part of your feet to kick, but rather that the force is focused on the front of your ankle.

On the return stroke, the fin collapses, thus sparing your calf muscles.

On the power, or downward stroke, the quadriceps are powering the fin.

The argument behind it is that the ankle is not strong enough to take the force of the return stroke without flexing. Hence, the ankle flops about like a door hinge, wasting power and efficiency.

Hope that clarifies the description.

-BubbaFetta

I agree with your description, but I'd hardly characterize it as "... you kick with your ankle."

The important thing to note, which you did, is that quads power Force Fins.

donacheson:
I agree with your description, but I'd hardly characterize it as "... you kick with your ankle."

The important thing to note, which you did, is that quads power Force Fins.

Yep, "kick[ing] with your ankle" reminds me more of sculling--again something which is more difficult with most models of the Force Fins line except the Excellerating Force Fins.

-BubbaFetta

I think the question was about Force Fins, you guys are wandering,,,,

I use Force Fins, I have two artificial hips and bad knees. Force Fins load up your leg muscles in different ways. I do not have strong legs, but I get no leg cramps.

That being said, the selling point was, doing my advanced dives with three young bucks doing their open water dives. They were all active Marines using Force Fins, I wouldn't use them. They blew me off everywhere, in the current, deep, shallow, surface. Of course, they should of. My legs were fatigued and cramping. I switched to Force Finns for the last couple of dives and we were together again.

Afterwards I did some research. There are test results all over out there and plenty of people that love them. If you are a jock, and/or have great legs there might not be an advantage. All others should look at them.

Price, lots of expensive fins, lots of cheap fins. I very seldom go to the low bidder.

adios don O

The one major advantage to FF that was just touched on is the reduction in cramping, especially in your feet. My Jets and Quattros have found the wall hook for that reason. I strapped on a pair of Extras that I ebay'd on a lark, and found that I can wear them barefoot, with booties or with a boot (using a shim pad), and never have cramps. Did they require a mod to my kick? Maybe, just don't remember changing that much. The feel is very different though; not as much resistance on the upstroke, but flying on the down.

jwh

Morg_NZ:
Has anyone tried the force fins? and if you have ....what's your opinion?

I'l looking for a new pair of fins and am just looking at the price of them
icosm13.gif

There expensive and I don't want to waste my cash on something that's not going to be worth it.

Can you help?
Dove em hated them they felt like they were pushing me face first into the bottom. I'v had students that just loved them there is no middle ground. Find some to borrow or rent.

Tried them during my 3 dry suit checkout dives. My fins wouldn't fit over the rock boots and the dive shop had some FFs that I could try. I absolutely hated them. Couldn't wait to get back to my split fins. I've heard that the kick needs to be adjusted for FFs. If that's true, I sure couldn't figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom