Big Island Dive Buddy April 9-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfobiologo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aloha!

I'm visiting the Big Island in April (9th to 16th). Looking for a shore diving buddy. I have 500+ dives including cold water, research diving, solo and drift. Looking for a kamaaina - or haole to share the fun

Mahalo!

Rob

A little culture lesson that I had explained to me years ago by someone who'd spent the bulk of their life here and told me I needed to be careful on words I choose... Kamaaina, meaning native born, or possibly just as often, "familiar", as in once you're here long enough you're "familiar", it can apply to residents of all races. Haole, often refers to white people. Ha in Hawaiian, among other things means "spirit" or "breath", ole means "without" or "not". Apparently the indiginous population was surprised at their first sight of walking corpses or gods, they weren't quite sure which, and that's where the word came from. I was told not to use the word haole around "locals" as it has a pretty derrogative meaning amongst some, often referring to a person as lacking spirit based on their race. I"m probably treading on some taboos saying it, but I'm careful when I use the word now.

By the way, there's some great shorediving here and you're coming into the season where weather conditions become pretty reliable. You'll have a blast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I was using those words in the way I was taught them: kamaaina being native born or long time resident and haole meaning foreigner or mainlander.

Back
Top Bottom