swivel and quick disconnect on HOG 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewB73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anybody using a swivel and quick disconnect on a HOG 2nd stage? Any issues? What brand if so?

Unless it is a captured swivel, they have a very high failure rate. You can see for yourself by doing a search on the board, just type in "swivel". I would strongly recommend not having any quick disconnects for second stages. The last thing you want is one popping off accidentally.

What are you trying to accomplish? There may be a system available that suits your needs.

Define "very high failure rate"

We've had over 50,000 dives using omni-swivels in the last 10+ years and have had a total of two documented failures, both of which were determined upon investigation to be operator error. We've since taken the 'operator' out of the equation because you can't eliminate stupidity :)

And why would you want a quick disconnect on a second stage?

Wouldn't all failures be deemed to be operator error for not checking the items before use? The screw falls out. I am not going to waste my time searching this board for failures as I have done so in the past and the failure rates for swivels with a bolt in them are very high. Since it is a second stage failure it will drain the tank in less than a minute. A 90 degree fitting is not nearly as likely to fail. A captured swivel is less likely to fail. No swivel is even less likely to fail.

What I was wanting to do is have the ability to swap from my FFM to my HOG reg during training dives without having to change the hoses at the first stage. As far as failure rate.... Tires fail on cars everyday as do anything else that's made in large quantities . Can't have any type of product that's 100% reliable 100% of the time. I feel comfortable in my training and with my redundant air supply. I currently have a swivel and disconect on my FFM. I was just wondering if anybody has used both at the same time on a HoG reg. I just bought 2 of them and was wondering about performance issues. I currently have the OceanReef swivel and disconnect on my FFM, but not happy with that brand.

AndrewB73:6271096:
What I was wanting to do is have the ability to swap from my FFM to my HOG reg during training dives without having to change the hoses at the first stage. As far as failure rate.... Tires fail on cars everyday as do anything else that's made in large quantities . Can't have any type of product that's 100% reliable 100% of the time. I feel comfortable in my training and with my redundant air supply. I currently have a swivel and disconect on my FFM. I was just wondering if anybody has used both at the same time on a HoG reg. I just bought 2 of them and was wondering about performance issues. I currently have the OceanReef swivel and disconnect on my FFM, but not happy with that brand.

I would rather take my chances with a tire failure then with any scuba equipment failure, and if I knew by doing something it would increase the chance of a failure on my tires then I wouldnt do it. In my opinion the risk out weighs the reward with what you are trying to accomplish. Either way good luck to you.

If you are going to use one, check "Global Manufacturing", they have some locking quick disconnects with a small nub and a corresponding dent that have to be line up to take it apart. Greatly reduces the risk of it 'popping off'

If you are going to use one, check "Global Manufacturing", they have some locking quick disconnects with a small nub and a corresponding dent that have to be line up to take it apart. Greatly reduces the risk of it 'popping off'

Thats the style I was considering. Thanks for the input.

we use "parker" fittings, We get them from a local Commercial Diving Company but I believe you can find them at Commercial Diver Supply in Louisiana They come in Brass or stainless steel they are pretty much hydraulic fittings used in air delivery. once you connect you twist the collar as way to reduce the connection coming loose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom