Is NAUI leaving the islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haumana ronin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Its a weird question I know, but searching on the NAUI Dive Center Locator, I only see UH-Hilo, one shop each on Kauai, Oahu, and the Big Island, and what looks like one independent. I thought there were a lot more before, though I cant name them..

:zen:

It's not just a Hawaii thing. Using their dive center locator in WA, CA and OR I'm only finding a handful of retailers and another handful of independants and educational groups in total between the three states, that's it. Times chang.

I'm an independent NAUI Technical Instructor and Course Director (#48937) based in Kailua Kona.
My wife is also a NAUI Instructor (#52571). I was out diving yesterday with the DSO at UH Hilo
who is also a NAUI Instructor and Instructor Trainer. The DSO for the DAR here in Kona is also a
NAUI Instructor (I was her CD). I know of one other trained NAUI Instructor here in Kona, but have
no idea if she's still active.

I find that NAUI's "locate-a-<fill in the blank>" service on their web page to be, um, flaky at best.

Lacking a "bricks and mortar" shop I actually cannot be a NAUI Dive Center.

It also seems like members need to opt in to be listed. I know of at least three active instructors and one shop in my area that are not on the locator.

Why would someone decide not to opt in? Seems to me this is free advertising.

Different reasons. I know of one instructor from my own agency that only wants to teach his university students and not get calls from others. And sometimes people just forget if they need to update or opt in every year.

When I got to Oahu in 1981, there were still a few NAUI shops on the island. They gradually vanished until only Bojac's in Waipahu was left. Bob Hoffman, the owner, was a diehard NAUI guy - the one thing that he wanted but never got was a seat on the NAUI board. He was a real crotchedy old bastard but I got along with him ok - I did my instructor course there in '87. He wound up selling the company and retiring to the mainland where he passed away a few years ago.
The funny was that the longtime NAUI rep on Oahu received all kinds of awards and recognition for the great job that he did for NAUI in Hawaii. He was also a federal bigshot in FEMA out there which I had never heard of until I emigrated back to the United States. Kinda like those CEO's who draw millions in salary while their corporate revenues and market share disappear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom