Hoping to find the joy in diving again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about your camera loss...:(

My rig was fairly neutral with 2 strobes - once I added the wide angle it drops quick......

This thread will make me look at flotation blocks/arms - thx........SB is a great resource!

M

Welcome back, and be glad you didn't pick today to start diving again. I was up at 4:30 AM, home at 8 due to 25 knot winds and a forecast of 11-15 ft swells at under 10 seconds.

A Camera keeps ya outta' the water. REALLY? Fall in love with Ocean again!!! It ain't about the gear, it'z about the underwater habitat that we(humans) are guests too. The critters and homesteads they live in are to observe and enjoy. Takin' it home in a camera to share or relive is only a knee jerk response to the Beauty, Majesty, and Wonder of the deep.

Respect, DBD

A Camera keeps ya outta' the water. REALLY? Fall in love with Ocean again!!! It ain't about the gear, it'z about the underwater habitat that we(humans) are guests too. The critters and homesteads they live in are to observe and enjoy. Takin' it home in a camera to share or relive is only a knee jerk response to the Beauty, Majesty, and Wonder of the deep.

Respect, DBD

Don, I hear what you're saying...but please understand it wasn't just about not being able to take photos. That entire dive experience (the one I lost my camera on) was a nightmare - the camera loss was just the nasty icing on the rotten cake. And it was a LOT of f'ing money to lose - ouch, that hurt.

I didn't stop diving completely - I've been out a couple times locally since then (camera-less, of course), but I found that diving brought back some pretty unpleasant memories for me, which gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. I found myself waking up in the middle of the night, reliving that awful dive. I decided I just needed to take a break from it, to get some distance between me and that bad dive.

So I've spent my free time on other pursuits - mainly, working on and sailing our 36-ft sailboat, and doing a little sailboat racing. I'm glad I took the time off - I had way more time to spend working on my sailing skills.

Now it's 8 months since it happened, and that's enough time - I'm ready to jump back in the water. I bought the camera because, well, I like taking pictures down there. :) I totally agree with you that the biggest joy is just being there, enjoying the majesty of the underwater world. Now if only it would clear up so I can get down there!
:rain:

I understand Lee Anne, I've had whack ass events that made me wonder "what the F** am I doin' here", including episodes with highly skilled buddies. Glad you "shook it off too", I get it... Welcome Back to the Abysssss...

Welcome back LeeAnne, we all the diving blues once and a while. That sucks about the loss of your camera but look on the bright side, you have all new cool stuff to play with!

Thanks Dave! Unfortunately I had to postpone my first outing - Charlie needed a minor medical procedure that he has to keep dry for a few days, so we had to push our Peace trip out till the 8th. But I'll be on that boat bright and early, itchin to jump in the water!

Speaking of all my new toys :), I went to an underwater photography class at Bluewater Photo with Scott Geitler last night - WOW! Major lightbulbs popping all over my head now. Can't wait to get my new toys in the water and try out all this cool stuff I learned!

Another thing about insurance... if you have State Farm insurance, they have a personal articles policy that you can take out on camera gear that includes loss. When I asked, it even included flood and loss while diving though you should check with an agent to confirm again. It's actually a rather reasonable price but you have to have some other insurance (home owners, renters etc) before you can get it.

LeeAnne, what harbor do you race out of or what's your boat name? Curious if I've encountered you on the race course.

We have a 36-ft Islander Freeport named Spray, which we keep in Channel Islands Harbor, at the Anacapa Isle Marina. We race for Channel Islands Yacht Club. We're not very good - we usually end up pretty far back in the pack. :wink: But we have fun, and racing does help us to improve our sailing skills.

since she said "Cozumel" and "diving up north end"... I can imagine she was diving Barracuda reef, which can be moderate difficulty with some fast current, or can be an E-ticket ride with up currents and down wellings and advanced techniques just to keep from getting pushed out to sea or pushed into serious deco. We can all guess she hit the latter.

robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom