Working underwater, trying to make a buck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef--you sure read beautybelow's post differently from me! The way I read it was "use a different business model." And along those line, the first thing that came into my mind is "open a dive shop in a part of the world where there's no Costco!" For example, I opened a dive business here in Thailand. Furthermore, my business model doesn't rely on gear sales to much of an extent, so it doesn't make any difference if gear is being dumped into eBay for sale. Of course, in a place like Toronto the business model I use probably wouldn't be workable. Thus opening a dive shop in a part of the world where there's no Costco, and in addition, in a part of the world where there's no need to rely on gear sales to stay in business-- it does make sense, IMO.

That won't help either LOL! Ebay is full of good quality gear dive shops are trying to sell off to keep there heads afloat. Just existing makes no business sence let go of the gold bars or you will sink and drown.

Try shipping new gear from Ebay to my zip code then go down to customs and have some fun...bring cash though.

Oh...and bring a lunch and maybe some valium.

Oh...and cash. They will spend hours looking up each article and telling you exactly what the retail price should be, print you out a new invoice and you pay upwards to 50%.

AHHHH would you like it for free?. Shipping and import tax rates are what they are so suck it up.

Ha ok...well then.
I didn't ever plan on opening a dive shop or starting some big business here. I just like diving and was thinking of helping people. And i figured they'd pay but even that wouldn't bother me.
But either way i've seen others points and i agree and i am going to keep away from it just because i don't ever want to have the thought when i'm underwater, about how little fun this is. So that's that.

And f.y.i roastbeef. I know a few dive shops around Ontario from my travels and getting to know people and there are a few of the top of my head where they are making a killing and living very comfortably. Its not all about selling fins and masks. Its about buying the experience, and Diving lessons, and servicing regs or joining charters. It's a club man...so costco can suck one. Cause the day someone tells me they got their diving license at costco... then we are in trouble.

Cause the day someone tells me they got their diving license at costco... then we are in trouble.

Very happy that as a new diver you have realized there are some major challenges to looking to farm out diving services for pay. The Ministry of Labour and Revenue Canada frown on that sort of thing. Dive, have fun. Get a few dives under your belt. Learn.

As for the Cosco "diving license" I'd suggest that there are a number of shops (in Ontario perhaps but certainly all over the place) whose business model and attention to detail rivals... should that be mirrors... a big-box store: Cosco included.

DT:
AHHHH would you like it for free?. Shipping and import tax rates are what they are so suck it up.

If you are talking to me, I suck it up on a regular basis. I think you are mis understanding the thread direction.

I was making a point that shopping on Ebay and the internet is not always the cheapest route in some parts of the world as per the OP statement.

You try sucking up paying 1,000 dollars for something and customs telling you it's worth 2,000. I am sure, you would suck it up with a little resentment.

Or maybe you are a saint. I am not..sorry

go Pro Gary. Learn to become a divemaster then move on to be an instructor. That way, you will have all the excuses to go diving and at the same time you can help people learn to dive.... You won't get rich, but you can certainly make enough money to maintain your gear and hopefully a few free charter boat dives. :)

roastbeef:
Go back to school and take up engineering or better yet be a doctor or dentsit they have certification cards for prinitng money and for god sakes stay out the diving business or you'l be broke for life as only an idiot would open up a dive shop in this economy when your bread and butter Fins, Mask and Snorkels can be purchased at Cosco at retail for less than your whole sale dealer purchase price

That won't help either LOL! Ebay is full of good quality gear dive shops are trying to sell off to keep there heads afloat. Just existing makes no business sence let go of the gold bars or you will sink and drown.

Roastbeef since when are you such an expert on dive business ? Just get over it and face the fact that some of us do what we love for living and are successful with it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom