Basic Equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
T-minus three weeks and counting until we go down to the Bahamas! :D

My son (who will be 18) and has no hips to hold up his weight belt is getting a Cressi Start Pro weight integrated BCD for his birthday (2 days before trip). What with all the personal equipment (mask, snorkel, fins), what's the best way to transport the BC from the hotel to the dive operator? Is there a mesh backpack or something that it would fit in?

Thanks!

LME

I like the mesh gear bag from XS scuba. It's large, has wheels and is lightweight. Traveling out of country, try a large mesh bag/backpack without wheels. If none of that works, just wear the bc and tote everything else in a smaller mesh bag.

Many manufacturers make mesh backpacks or mesh duffles. I'd recommend the mesh duffle bags. Cheap, collapse to virtually nothing for the trip down yet will hold a lot of stuff. I have and sell the Edge Duffle that I know will hold a standard BC, regs, mask, fins, and thin exposure suit. They run 24.99 plus shipping. I'm out of stock right now but placing an order tomorrow and could have one or two by midweek if they are in stock there. Shipping on this would be around 6 bucks for one since it will fit in a USPS large padded envelope.

edge duffle.jpg

I use a large generic Walmart/Target rolling duffle bag and check it to get my gear to my destination. Dive computers and camera/strobe as carry on.

Inside I have a lightweight scuba mesh bag for hauling stuff to the dive boat - the mesh bag takes up little space on sometimes crowded dive boats....

Dive Flag Mesh Bag discounts on sale ScubaToys

I also carry a small dry bag for stuff I need to keep safe and dry - money, ID, C-card, sunglasses, towel, change of clothes, etc....

20L Mariner's Clear Panel Dry Bag

M

I have two mesh backpacks that hold all necessary gear for travel from hotel to the boat. They have a dry storage area for towels etc, and are lightweight and easy to pack. They are the Stahlsac WD 16s.

DB

A couple of others to consider along with the simple mesh bag or duffle:

A dry bag is quite handy. Not all boats have "dry" areas. It's nice to keep your dry stuff dry.

We also carry a small "Pelican-like" case (even a mask box works) to store our glasses in. No way they will accidentally get damaged. In the case, they can be kept handy and are always nearby when we get out of the water. Good to store those expensive Oakleys as well.

I prefer a mesh backpack, Stahlsac makes a nice one, so does Akona and a number of others. look for a bag with a dry bottom, that allows drainage and a large open mouth for loading and unloading gear. I like a handle on the side as well. be sure to take the weights out of the bc when transporting, this lessens the stress on the bc and will help it last longer. Another tip is to pack your boat bag in reverse order, so the things you will need first (like your bc) are on top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom