More cheap good food department - Chilangos on 30th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chilangos food is excellent but what i like the most is eating family style with locals. travel for me is a learning experience in addition to fun and relaxation. places like chilangos have made my many years of wandering full of good memories.
btw, how many know what chilango means?
Definitely share your view of travelling.
Never been at Chilango's (yet), but have visited "Chilangolandia, DF" several times. Some of my yucatecan friends tell me I speak Spanish like a Chilanga… they don't mean it as a compliment, but that's what happens when you learn a language on the road :cool2:

Definitely share your view of travelling.
Never been at Chilango's (yet), but have visited "Chilangolandia, DF" several times. Some of my yucatecan friends tell me I speak Spanish like a Chilanga… they don't mean it as a compliment, but that's what happens when you learn a language on the road :cool2:
It seems the word can be one of pride or insult, depending on views - much like redneck or cowboy. Chilango - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

when i first started going to the yucatan it was unusual for a mayan to have much spanish. they spoke their language. cancun was actually developed as a tourist area so that the mayan did not have to rely on hunting and a little farming. it was a much more laid back culture than mexico city. the mayans would not deceive but they would also not mean exactly 9:00 am if you agreed on a meeting time. they meant give or take an hour.
as tourism brought more money, people from other parts of the country began to move to the area. at the same time the govt was pushing spanish for the next generation. there was some resentment over the changes to the local culture.
i spent most of my life in new england. we would sometimes have labels for new yorkers who came up to our region and brought their ways with them. the people of the yucatan did the same, labeling people from mex city as chilangos - always in a hurry, pushing too hard for a bargain etc.
most of the time when i hear someone called a chilango it is done in good nature but sometimes it is kidding on the level. for instance - once i was on a boat with a chilango dm. another boat was already at the site we wanted to dive but they were not all geared up yet. our dm told us to get ready so that we could get into the water fast and be first down. there was some yelling and the word chilango was used but there was laughing too.

Thanks vlkr. It is hard to fathom anyone naming their restaurant something that would be considered an insult. And not just one restaurant but two! It is just too competitive here. Given your description, i wonder if the intent might be "fast"? Our food certainly came quickly enough. It wouldn't be the first time Wikipedia was off base!

i would take it like opening a "new york deli" in new england.

I left my message on an index card with the guy at the scuba shop (not Pony...the other guy). I will send you a PM with my cell # but how does Wed or Thurs work for you?

That would be Martin. And I received it today. :) Either Wed or Thurs is good for me... Let's try Wednesday! I'll be there around 4:30 if that works for you. :)

Chilangos is a favorite of ours. We discovered it several years ago from Christi's famous list. Great food, and inexpensive.
I've lost track of that list. It's not a sticky anymore, not on her site or her FB I don't think. :sad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom