Aquarena Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my AOW there through Scubaland in 2010. We paid our entry fee of $30 a day and got to dive unlimited until midnight each day.

Hope this isn't too much of a threadjack but...

Has anyone here actually used Aquarena for the OW portion of a class they've conducted? I actually just sent a couple emails this week to see if this was still going to be an option after the rehab was complete and haven't herad anything back. I'm have a couple folks who are interested in both AOW and OW this summer who i'd really like to get out there for a few dives. Can anyone comment on the how this used to work prior to the rehab?

I am not an instructor, but have far better than 200 hours in the lake. When I did the DFS class, it was $75. Personally, I avoid Spring Lake like the plague on weekends due to the OWC's.

First, the instructor has to be certified to dive in the lake. That one is an iron rule.

Second, you get with the dive coordinator and get a reservation for the instructor and the number of students. The Training Area is a pretty small place with a limited number of platforms. With that in mind, 9am really does mean 9am, not 1pm. In addition, the lake's Habitat Conservation Plan, USFWS, sets a maximum number of divers in various parts of the lake. The AC staff has to work within those guidelines.

Third, the instructor will be given a permit to dive with the time and number of students. I highly recommend that the instructor have a printed copy when they check in. Yes, I have seen instructors turned away for not having a hard copy.

Fourth, the Training Area isn't deep enough to be ideal for OWC. One day there is great but the second day really should be in a place where students can get deeper than 18'.

Now some things that are going to change. AC had a large concrete pad where classes could park gear and spend the surface interval. That pad is gone. Before you ask, I have no idea what accommodations will be made. Second, there used to be large and sturdy tables very close to the Training Area. Those are gone as well. Third, the remaining parking lot is at the northern end of the park. You will have a lot longer walk to get to the Training Area.

Thanks Driftwood, great info. On a personal level I'm looking forward to getting back to Aquarena for a little fun diving. I used to actually work there leading dives when I was in school, before the university took over and Ralph was still around. I'm also hoping they'll bring back the OW training option, always nice to have a nice warm option in the winter not to mention the dramatically improved vis compared to Travis and Canyon. Don't get me wrong the lakes have a lot to offer too, but I really like the idea of being able to introduce new divers to another option.

Now some things that are going to change. AC had a large concrete pad where classes could park gear and spend the surface interval. That pad is gone. Before you ask, I have no idea what accommodations will be made. Second, there used to be large and sturdy tables very close to the Training Area. Those are gone as well. Third, the remaining parking lot is at the northern end of the park. You will have a lot longer walk to get to the Training Area.

back in august there was talk of a boat; that divers would be "dropped off" by boat after gearing up near the TRC. i'm not sure how well this would work in practice ...

I had to be in San Marcos this evening and just to let everyone know, the subs are still firmly sitting in the training area. Didn't see any cranes around so my best guess is that they are rethinking their options.

I had to be in San Marcos this evening and just to let everyone know, the subs are still firmly sitting in the training area. Didn't see any cranes around so my best guess is that they are rethinking their options.

Thanks for the info, I thought for some reason they had already been removed!

I get
a newsletter from one of the other San Marcos River organizations at the springs
- this was in the newsletter from 17-Feb. My guess would be they either can't
get the bigger cranes or they're looking for other alternatives.

“The first attempt to lift the theater ended with the straps from one crane
snapping with a very impressive explosion. The theater hadn't even budged!
Thank goodness no people were near. The workers are being very careful about
safety.

We hear they are getting a second 500 ton crane and better steel straps. The
synthetic straps broke at the first attempt today. They are tentatively
scheduled to try lifting it again today, Friday, but you'll have to call
245-7570 to find out when this might occur."

I used to actually work there leading dives when I was in school, before the university took over and Ralph was still around. .

I have little history too with Aquarena Springs. When I was a kid, I visited there with my folks on family vacation and saw Ralph the Swimming pig and the Mermaids. I remember all the rides and things. Later after I graduated college and became an certified diver, I had the opportunity to get my Underwater Archeology certification with Joel Shiner there at the Springs. Besides being an Archeologist at SMU, he was a PADI Instructor too. I got to help out with some of the excavation there. Later years after the school bought the springs, I took the Scientific Diver course numerous times, first with Dive West, then thru Pisces Scuba (Danny Faas) as a favor to Cynthia, and then thru my scuba club, the Scubadillos. The first time I took the class, we got to use the heated backstage area, (Mermaid In and Out area) to get into the water. Then that sunk from a storm at some point. Anyhow, I am sadden by all the new changes but I will hold on to some really neat memories of this place.

As of yesterday the scoop is the sub will be attempted again in a week or so. They are bringing in one of the giant cranes which is a deal just getting it there and inside Aquarena. The ones they have are not heavy enough and the angles too long to support the weight. The sub will still have to come out in 1 piece which is an absolute -- water must be pumped out. The place looks like one big parking lot at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom